keep needing to change ip

nuke 11:51 26 Feb 07

For extra security I disabled DHCP in my router settings. I also changed the default IP of my router.

I also changed the settings in TCP/IP of my wireless adapter:

Under 'use the following IP address'
I gave my computer an ip, say (not actual value) : 192.168.175.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway (ip of my router, not actual): 192.168.175.217

and under 'use the following DNS server addresses' an ip I got from my isp (also from ipconfig /all in run->cmd)

Now the thing is I can connect but when I restart the pc and try to open a web page I get the 'error' page so when I change the ip of my computer from 192.168.175.2 to say 192.168.175.1 I can surf normally again and I can change the ip back to 192.168.175.2 and still surf. But once I restart again I have to change ip again to opena web page (but can change it back to default once page is open). Apart from this probelm the computer is always 'talking' to the router and the internet is live. Which I can tell from the I icons in the task bar and in network and dial up connections.

Where am I going wrong?

Also if someone has the router DG834G v3 and they know how to disable ICMP ping requests can they please advise me.

Thank you

nuke 11:55 26 Feb 07

ps: in the 192.168.x.y bit, 192.168. is fixed. I have x between the requirement of 0-255 and y between 1-254.

nuke 12:07 26 Feb 07

The router and ip of computer have ip 3 'bits' the same: 192.168.175.

fitshase 12:24 26 Feb 07

Don't know about using those figures but on my internal network I have:-

router = 192.168.0.1
desktop = 192.168.0.2
laptop (wireless) = 192.168.0.3
laptop (wired) = 192.168.0.5
print server (wireless) = 192.168.0.102
network drive = 192.168.0.253
print server (other) = 192.168.0.254

I have enabled the DHCP on my router but have specified static IPs for all connections. I have also specified access control based on the MAC addresses and enabled WPA-PSK encryption for wireless stations.

Apart from the extremely determined person, my network is secure and the only way to connect to it is physically plugging in the cable (which I would notice!)

What extra security are you gaining by disabling the DHCP?

nuke 13:02 26 Feb 07

fitshase see: click here

fitshase 13:43 26 Feb 07

Nuke

That article is about wireless security which should not be a problem if you follow the normal wireless security protocols:-

1) Use encryption - WEP minimum - preferably WPA. This will encrypt any traffic being sent wirelessly and prevent anyone connecting without the correct passcode (and you can make this something like " 45987bv#qb#q]=[q£&$)&SdoihnsHouiy47 " so no-one will guess it!

2) Use MAC address filtering - the router only allows wireles access from those wireless clients whose MAC address (physical address of the network card) matches a pre-defined list. Any station will then contact the DHCP to request an IP. The DHCP will check the pre-approved list and only grant an IP address to those on the list.

3) Turn off SSID broadcast - only wireless clients who know the SSID of your network will be able to connect. If they can't see it, they can't connect to it.

In all of these cases, they will stop the majority of people but nothing is 100% secure. A determined hacker will get through but if you are just using a home network then I doubt they will be wanting to go through the effort. Besides, you have to remember that the wireless range is small so the person would have to be in the vicinity.

I think disabling the DHCP of your router just adds problems and inconvenience for you more than anything. I've ran a wireless network for a number of years now (since the early days of 802.11b) and I just followed the steps above. No problems yet (touch wood).

nuke 13:49 26 Feb 07

Thank you. Done all the above but to be honest I'm really enjoying all this wireless networking stuff. I like 'messing' around and getting my hands dirty so to speak! I'm trying out more things and I'm learning much more.

Call me stupid but I enjoy this stuff.

Ashrich 19:28 26 Feb 07

Turning off the SSID is something of a fallacy , it does nothing for security , any sniffer or suchlike can find you anyway , but it can , and usually does , cause connection problems , it is there for a purpose and that is so you CAN be seen by others , just rename your router with something memorable or personal to you and set yourself a proper user name and password for access to the setup routine .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…