Keep losing my connection

trump 15:47 20 Dec 03

I don't recall having any problems before I started trying to play games online.

But, recently I keep losing my connection to the internet for no reason that I can work out, whether trying to play online games or not.

The connection will drop at any time - I might get a full 2 hours or only 5 minutes or anything in between.

My attempts to resolve the problem:
1. Contact BT - they have cleared up a potential problem and reinstalled the bt box at my house
- they have checked for line noise
- checked that i dont have call waiting or similar
- increased the 'gain' on the line.

2. I have moved my pc to be next to the bt box with a short cable and no other extension leads.

3. I have re-booted my entire system and re-installed only the essential software that I need.

4. I've checked all my internet settings.

5. Checked for a new modem driver.

I have also contacted my service provider (freeserve) who have yet to get back to me.

Thought I'd see if anyone has any other ideas while I'm waiting for them.

Is it likely that my modem has developed a fault?

Cheers

3Toed 16:06 20 Dec 03

Hi trump,Sounds like you have covered you footsteps on this,but i notice you say your with freeserve,is it f.s.Anytime?if it is-not sure if this could cause the problem,but may be of interest to you and others reading this thread-(from service status)read on-

Important information for Freeserve AnyTime Members
As you may be aware, in an effort to make it easier for you to get online, we have launched the Freeserve Connection Kit. As a result we are phasing out the following AnyTime numbers:

0808 9933006
1470 0808 9933251
If you are using these numbers to connect, you will need to download new AnyTime settings (including the Connection Kit) by visiting click here

trump 16:22 20 Dec 03

Thanks - but thats not it.
I've re-installed the connection kit with the latest number along with everything else

3Toed 16:31 20 Dec 03

What about running a diagnostic check on your modem?-by accessing your modem through device manager(think it was through a right click and properties)

trump 16:45 20 Dec 03

When I go to systems/device/manager/modem/properties

it says 'this device is working properly'

is this what you mean?
if there is another way that I do a diagnostic check - let me know
Cheers

3Toed 16:56 20 Dec 03

your nearly there,when you right click and choose properties. Click Diagnostics and the 'Query Modem'tab.This wont test the line line but will give you the 'strings'your modem uses and if its ok(passed).

trump 17:04 20 Dec 03

hmm...cant find where you mean

I'm running windows Me if it makes any difference?

What I did:
start, settings, control panel, system, device manager, modem <select modem>, properties
that gives 8 options:
general, modem, connection, forwarding, settings, country, driver, resources

no diagnostic

am i doing something wrong?

3Toed 17:48 20 Dec 03

Not familiar with ME,but i would have thought clicking on one of the 8 options,modem maybe,or setings would further you to 'diagnostics'.Check each option out.
At least by keeping this thread going,someone will know the place for diagnostics on ME-
Anybody.

3Toed 19:23 20 Dec 03

click here
and
click here

The 2nd link for more general help with ME items.
Hope this helps Trump

trump 19:41 20 Dec 03

thanks 3toed - i've had a quick look but it makes my brain hurt.

I'll have to have another look tomorrow (before I have a drink) it might make more sense then :)

3Toed 19:50 20 Dec 03

ok,no probs-hey get me a pint while your at it-Cheers-Have a good christmas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…