Keep losing intrenet connection on network

Nessie 22:54 15 Mar 04

I have a simple network wit a PC as host and a laptop as client. I have an ip address of 192.168.0.1 on the host and 192.168.0.2 on the laptop. When I try and set the laptop to a fixed ip address it loses the broadband connection and is not listed in network connections. If set up the connection again using the network wizard it is fine but resets ip address to obtain an ip address automatically again. If I then set to a fixed ip i lose the broadband connection again. This is all happening tcp/ip protocol of network connection. Any ideas please as it is doing my head in. I have to have it fixed for firewall.

woodchip 22:56 15 Mar 04

Can you please tick all exept one thread so they all go to the bottom

Nessie 23:11 15 Mar 04

Zonelabs seems to be the problem. Can I use xp firewall and still be safe

Nessie 23:47 15 Mar 04

have used 192.168.0.1 for pc and 192.168.0.2 for laptop with both having mask of 255.255.255.0 but not sure what you mean by default gateway

Nessie 23:50 15 Mar 04

using a crossover cable and not a hub

wawadave 23:51 15 Mar 04

hello
the xp fire wall is not safe.imo
you need to set up zone alarm to allow you to conect. try the zone alarm forums for help setting it up.click here

LeadingMNMs 07:15 16 Mar 04

To set up ZoneAlarm open it and go to the firewall section. Select 'Zones' and then 'Add' followed by 'IP Address'. Add the other computers IP address on each computer. The obvious problem with this is that the second computer may not always have the same IP address if it is given automatically. Do you know if the IP address changes when it changes to Automatic ?

mackaycc 07:55 16 Mar 04

I had a similar problem to you and the way I sorted it was to go to the firewall section in zonealarm on the host computer (your desktop), then advanced and enable the box reading "This computer is an ICS/NAT Gateway". Zonealarm should then automatically find the other computer and fill the details in the "Local address" box for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac