Keep getting worrying box poping up

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 13:48 18 Oct 06

Hello all,

there is a box that keeps appearing frequently on PC that seems to indicate something is not quite right. (Someone else has access to PC and I think it may be something they have done...

The box states.....

Threat Properties
Dialer.Generic

Computer...Cluster 3
Date found (Today)
User....Cluster 3
Scan Type....Auto Protect Scan
Source Computer....local Host
Set Action....Quarantine
Status...Infected
Set Back up Actions
Action Taken
Action Description

Corrective actions
Type...Browser Cashe Remediation
Action...Delete
Status...Successful.

It indicated that this was something to do with temporary internet files, so we cleaned these up, yet the box still keeps appearing.

I am concerned that something is going on that may have a dire consiquense to the PC.

If anyone understands what is going on, what the risks are, and whether there is something that can be done to ensure the safety and reliability of the PC (Since the entire buisness relies on it.

As always

Cheers

Trackrat 13:58 18 Oct 06

Download this program and do a full scan with it.
It is the second one down.

click here

Trackrat 13:59 18 Oct 06

Download this program and do a full scan with it.
It is the fifth one down.a-squared Anti-Dialer 2.0

click here

PA28 14:00 18 Oct 06

The first thing that you do (as your entire business relies on it) IS BACK UP YOUR DATA to somewhere nice and safe. You can reinstall software, you can't recreate data. But then you already have backups on removeable media don't you?

what does it do.

It seems that the student boys we employ to take telephone orders and process them through the PC, have been using their spare time to surf the net, and have accessed many hundreds of sites. Like I say this is a coperate PC, thus I do not want to start downloading other stuff until I understand what is the problem, and what your suggestion will do.....

Cheers

Paul

Jackcoms 14:13 18 Oct 06

A-Squared will do a complete scan of your PC and identify and remove any 'nasties' (specifically malware and adware - but not viruses) and remove them.

It's completely safe. I use it myself at least once a week to scan my home PC

If I can have an understanding of what is happening, and why, so I can (If I can resolve it), understand what not to do (Or instruct the student boys what not to do)

€dstowe 14:20 18 Oct 06

"student boys we employ to take telephone orders and process them"

Well they shouldn't be wasting time that YOU are paying for messing around surfing the net.

There are plenty of other students around keen to do work. You know the answer.

As for your business relying on the data in your computer, it is absolutely vital that you have backups of your systems. You should organise this without delay if you don't have a backup.

Jackcoms 14:20 18 Oct 06

We don't specifically know what is happening which is why we've asked you to scan with an anti-malware program.

"Or instruct the student boys what not to do"

Simple - don't browse the internet and download items of which they, apparently, have no knowledge.

Failing that, is it possible to simply disconnect the PCs they use from the internet without affecting your business?

PA28 14:32 18 Oct 06

If you don't have backups you are potentially out of business if you lose your data - it might already have been compromised by your employee's actions. Imagine - No order records, no payment records, no customer records, no tax records. Bit like being blindfolded and having your arms and legs cut-off at the same time. I've seen it happen; don't go there.

I am scanning with a-squared as I type(so far it has thrown up....

Trance.Directory.Ultimate defender (1 Trance)
and
Trance TrackingCookie (8 Cookies)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009