keep dialup email address with broadband

angleronnie 07:31 31 Oct 06

How do I retain my existing dial-up email address
when I switch to broadband.

Diodorus Siculus 07:38 31 Oct 06

Depends on who it is with; for most ISPs you will be required to dial with the analogue modem once every 30 or 60 days.

You will also be able to collect mail from the address by entering the details in your mail client.

mike1967 07:41 31 Oct 06

Depends who you are with. I'm with BT and I pay £1.50 a month to keep my email addresses while im overseas

Technotiger 08:15 31 Oct 06

Hi, I don't understand? My email address did not change just because I changed from dial up to broadband - also with BT. Unless I am missing something!

Cheers

BT 08:19 31 Oct 06

I have NTL broadband but still have EMail addresses on Freeserve/Wannadoo/Orange. I just have to go to the Orange site and retrieve my account every 90 days. I access the email via my broadband with no problem.

Technotiger 08:20 31 Oct 06

PS - when you do have broadband up and running, in IE go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections and then set to "Never dial a connection"

If you don't do this you may still get an annoying dial-up window appearing every time you want to go on-line.

Cheers

jakag 09:11 31 Oct 06

I can still get all 3 of my emails (ntl and hotmail addresses) weather I am on broardband or dial up. I do have a pay as you go dialup number from my website provider and can use it anywhere in the uk. I have not tried it out of the uk. Perhaps BT pay as you go may work but I dont know

Jak

mike1967 09:21 31 Oct 06

Maybe I confused a few people, I used to be with BT Yahoo, but I have now moved overseas so not using BT anymore, but I kept my BTYahoo email addresses all 5 of them by paying £1.50 a month

Diodorus Siculus 14:13 31 Oct 06

Any confusion here is due to the fact that we assume that angleronnie is changing ISP; if staying with the same ISP and upgrading the service, it is likely that he/she can keep the current email address.

anskyber 15:00 31 Oct 06

Exactly, as I found if you stay with the same ISP.

Jak_1 15:18 31 Oct 06

If staying with the same isp the your email addy remains extant, if changing isp but still want to keep the old addy then the mail can usually be accessed via the previous isp's home page. This is true with Orange at least and I have no reason to suspect other isp's are any different but stand to be corrected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…