KB956802 Corrupts GDI32.dll

Taff™ 14:34 23 Dec 08

Packard Bell Easynote W3910 Blue Screen of Death - Repair Install of XP Home and then SP3 to get it back working. So far so good until the subsequent update KB956802 and back to the BSOD which mentions GDI32.dll - bad checksum.

By going to the recovery console and deleting c:\windows\system32\GDI32.dll and then restoring the file from C:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 I can get the system to boot again but to prevent this High Priority Update installing I have had to turn off Automatic Updates. (It keeps re-appearing after I restore the GDI32.dll file)

Anyone else come across this one? Or indeed found a solution?

MAJ 14:45 23 Dec 08

Have you tried installing the update manually? click here

Taff™ 15:18 23 Dec 08

I`m just doing a full virus scan so I`ll try that when it has finished. Will post back later.

Taff™ 17:37 23 Dec 08

MAJ - Didn`t get the chance! The owner was so pleased to hear I had managed to get it working she rushed round after work and shot off to catch up with her e-mails. Left me a box of Roses!

I`ll have to have it back at some point but if anyone has a clue to this one please post here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…