KB891711.EXE MS Security Update

Pesala 00:50 20 Mar 05

Having just noticed this in my running programs dialogue, I ran a Google search on it and found that it might cause some problems.

When I reported connection problems to NTL, one of the questions the technicians asked was, "Are you running a firewall?" I answered, "No." However, it seems that this may be one of the function of this patch.

Anyone else noticed connection problems since installing this patch, which is described as critical?

I'm using Windows ME.

Pesala 00:52 20 Mar 05

Computing.net thread: click here

Pesala 00:56 20 Mar 05
  MGNM 02:48 20 Mar 05

Yes I put it on and took it off again same day. EndItAll was just one thing that would not work with it for instance.

Later I put KB891711 into Google and discovered many forums reporting problems with it.

Pesala 09:19 20 Mar 05

I just tried a System Restore to a point before I applied the patch. After more than 1 hour it was still only a quarter finished, so I gave up and rebooted. "This may take a few moments" is a joke.

Pesala 12:09 20 Mar 05

Anyhow, to fix Win Me without rolling back to a prior restore point:

In:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

Delete the key:
"KB891711"="c:\\windows\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\KB891711.EXE"

citadel 17:16 20 Mar 05

I had a problem with this it stopped all access to web pages, I installed firefox but this also would not show web pages. Luckily this update is listed in add remove programs and I was able to uninstall it.

4j 17:36 21 Mar 05

This update gives problems with the following OS:
win98, win98SE and win ME.
The best thing is not to install it and refuse this update from Microsoft.
If you use norton ghost and have a backup file from your OS, it is the best thing to reinstall this earlier version.
Microsoft doesn't seem interested in this problem and some people suppose that they want to get rid of the mentioned OS above.

Venus

MGNM 19:44 21 Mar 05

This update can be removed with add/remove programmes in case anyone does not realise that.

canard 22:51 21 Mar 05

Win98SE- installed this a few days ago and have had no probs.

Pesala 00:24 22 Mar 05

>> This update can be removed with add/remove programmes in case anyone does not realise that. <<

Thanks for that. I was looking under KB891711 and didn't notice the entry under Windows Millennium Edition update.

Let's see if it solves the connection problems I've been having, and am still having.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…