Goldcroft 15:51 06 Jan 03
  Goldcroft 15:51 06 Jan 03

Just looked at the new poll. Excuse my ignorance, but enlighten me someon:what is a file sharing file like Kazaa?

spikeychris 15:57 06 Jan 03

Easy way to understand this issue is to think on the lines of a big network of computers sharing files. The are known as peer to peer networks and can be invaluable to people who need to send and receive files. There is also the obvious problem of sharing files that don't belong to you.

garybaldy 15:58 06 Jan 03

when you download and start using kazza you allow other users to share the files stored on your computer .Weather this is just the file you yourself have downloaded or your entire hard drive i cant be sure .maybe someone can enlighten us both.

spikeychris 16:00 06 Jan 03

Interesting results to a straight forward question. I wonder if it would be different if the question was "should illegal music download sites be banned"??

Confab 16:02 06 Jan 03

Deja Vu??

Goldcroft 16:06 06 Jan 03

Thanks everyone. Regret that I am none the wiser unless Spikeychris' interpretation is correct - ie it refers to music download sites. If it does, why didn't it say so in the first place. We're not all techno wizards. At the top of the page it says "plain English".

tran1 16:11 06 Jan 03

To share files, you point kazaa to the folder(s) you want to share. It doesn't share your entire hard drive!

€dstow 16:16 06 Jan 03

Apart from anything that kazaa is supposed to do, it also doubles as the ideal medium for distributing viruses, worms, trojans, spyware and every other undesirable thing you could possibly not want in your computer. Be wise, give it a miss!!

spikeychris 16:23 06 Jan 03

File sharing...

F.S has been around for a long time, longer than Kazaa and its something that I use on a regular basis.

I send and receive large files through a designated network server that I can access anywhere. Kazaa and other P2P exploiters have made use of the easy access but as €d says you don't know what your dragging in.

Confab 16:23 06 Jan 03

Not wishing to turn this into yet another long drawnout debate, I've used p2p type progs for a while now and I've never had a virus, trojan or worm on my pc. Its a case of keeping your firewall and anti virus software up to date and not being stupid about the sort of things you choose to download. Its horses for courses I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…