Kaspersky update and frozen cursor

exdragon 21:00 14 Aug 10

Hi - more problems. I updated Kaspersky to 11, rebooted when told to do so but the cursor is frozen in the middle of the screen, with a dialogue box saying Kaspersky is already activated and to press Next, which I can't do.

It's Win XP, by the way.

Things tried: new mouse batteries (wireless), USB mouse, power off/on, Safe Mode (but unable to select as keyboard arrows won't work), changed wireless keyboard for USB one, ctrl>alt>delete doesn't work, booting from Acronis CD, can't get to system restore.....

Have I missed something obvious?

Ronalddonald, please don't suggest Linux mint!

rdave13 21:08 14 Aug 10

" Ronalddonald, please don't suggest Linux mint!"
You owe me a new screen cleaner as it's dripping with the coffee I was trying to drink!!
Have you tried to get to the bios when booting up. On my systems it's tapping the delete key. Yours might be different. If you can see if you can enable usb in DOS or something similar to your set-up. Just be carefull and if you set it to enable press enter then in the 'home' screen select yes to save and exit. Key functions shows at bottom of screen.

exdragon 21:30 14 Aug 10

Sorry about that!! Yes, I've tried every combination of everything I can see. Blasted thing just ends up in the same spot.

rdave13 21:41 14 Aug 10

If you have ps/2 connections can you borrow keyboard and mouse to try?

exdragon 21:47 14 Aug 10

No PS2 mouse, but have tried another wired keyboard. I think I'll leave it unplugged overnight in the hopes that the PC fsiry will pay a visit.

But I'm not holding my breath!

rdave13 21:48 14 Aug 10

I don't like suggesting restoring the bios to default as you might lose some updated advantages.
Though the first thing I do on a new PC is to return bios to default. Always works better for me.

exdragon 21:52 14 Aug 10

Hmm, bit dubious about that, I'm afraid

rdave13 21:58 14 Aug 10

Accepted. Then I never flash the bios for the same reasons.
Do you have ps/2 connections?

exdragon 22:04 14 Aug 10

I can get a PS2 to USB converter tomorrow, so will give that a go - thanks

rdave13 22:15 14 Aug 10

If the motherboard does not support ps/2 I don't think it will help.

rdave13 22:21 14 Aug 10

Time to go to Kapersky forums, if they have one, and ask for help. Even better call them as, if you pay for security and it buggers up your PC, they have a duty to rectify it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017