Karens Duplicator File Filter query

sheila.weston 14:20 28 Mar 11

I use Karen's Replicator at click here for backing up the whole of my data drive to an external HD. Is it possible to select only six or seven folders to back up? I feel that I should use the file filter box for this, but do not see how, as the folders which I want to back up have various types of files. eg I would like to backup files from a family history program, my photographs (in various formats) and my website.

Thanks for any help.

mimram 13:15 29 Mar 11

I believe the only way of copying a multiple direcories/sub directories is to create a backup job for each of them and to time them to run them consecutively.

Graphicool1 13:43 29 Mar 11

Have a look at this FREE programme. It's called 'PickMeApp'...click here

sheila.weston 22:41 29 Mar 11

Many thanks. Yes, Mimran, that's an idea. I don't understand why the 'all files' option in the file filter cannot be deleted even if you tick the 'exclude files that match filter', which seems to be the opposite of including the files in the filter box. Difficult to explain! What is the point of excluding ALL files?!

Thanks for the link, graphicool1. I'll think about it.

sheila.weston 20:55 01 Apr 11

Graphicool1, I have now downloaded PickmeAp, but can't make up how to use it as it seems to want me to transfer applications, rather than files. How do you set it up to transfer image and document files only, for example?

sheila.weston 22:16 01 Apr 11

Looking at the help files again, I think that PickmeApp is for downoading programs, rather than the files made by the applications? Please correct me if I am wrong.

sheila.weston 11:36 02 Apr 11

Mimran, I tried your suggestion, but when you edit the file filter for one backup, the cange applies to all 'jobs'. Would you agree, or have I missed something?

I want a small backup to one small external drive and a full backup to a 1TB external drive.

southhead 14:28 02 Apr 11

If you edit a filter then, as you have found, it will apply that change to any job which uses that filter. What you can do to get around this is to create custom filters.
So, for example, if you want to back up just photos from a folder which contains many different file types. Create a filter, give it any name and tell it to include only files with *.jpg extension.
I’ve used Replicator for years, and would recommend it, but I struggled with the filter thing at first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…