K6-2 500 fried. Best replacement plan?

May the Schwarz be with you... 21:53 07 Jun 03

Hi, one of my PCs has just stopped working. A friend of mine checked it out and says that it's possible that the heatsink/fan stopped working and therefore, the CP fried. It's on a MSI5182 motherboard and supports up to the K6-2 550Mhz and K6-3 450Mhz. Is there anything I can do to see whether it's just the heatsink/fan that needs replacing?

One choice is to buy the same CPU off ebay and shouldn't cost more than £10 for one. If I get one off ebay, will one of those Coolermaster heatink/fans which are normally used for Athlon XP CPUs work? And will they come with some thermal pad or paste?

Another option would be to buy a new mATX motherboard from ebuyer for about £40 and put my Duron 1.3Ghz in there because I want to buy a new XP 2400+ for myself. But this option will cost about £120 and I don't want to spend more than £25 or so. Of course, I could get the mATX motherboard and a Duron 1.1 Ghz but that wouldn't be worth it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

hugh-265156 22:15 07 Jun 03

if the heatsink came off a duron its history.the mobo may be damaged too.

to see what happens to a duron with no heatsink click here

It's not a Duron which wasn't working, it's an AMD K6-2 500Mhz. The CD-ROM drive seems to be working though. Is there any chance that the CPU might still be working and that all I need to do is get some new heatsink/fan?

hugh-265156 22:50 07 Jun 03

what happens when you try to boot up?do you get any beeps?

do you see anything on the screen at all?

when you say stopped working....?

Well, the PSU and CD-ROM drive starts and I think the hard drive as well (didn't look). But the fan on the heatsink didn't spin. Nothing on the screen.

I have decided to get a new motherboard, CPU, case (because this is mATX) with PSU and a cooler.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…