Just a question

misters 18:35 06 Dec 03

Hi my pc came with software installed for my dvd drive, what i would like to do is put this sofware onto a disc for backup puposes is there a simply way of doing this if so how?
Thanx in advance.

Diodorus Siculus 18:52 06 Dec 03

If it is already installed, there is no way to put it onto a CD. Did your machine come with a recovery CD? If so, it is likely to be on that.

If you want a free DVD player, have a look at MaximusDVD from click here - it is free and good.

Diodorus Siculus 18:53 06 Dec 03

A second idea: the install program (setup.exe?) may be on the hdd somewhere - what DVD player do you have? It may be in its folder.

Forum Editor 18:54 06 Dec 03

Because you haven't got the full installation file set on your drive. The software installer will have written keys to your machine's registry, and added DLL files to the Windows system directories - it would be like putting all the straws in a haystack back on the right stems in the field.

If your computer came without the software CD there's a chance that it's been written to a hidden partition on your hard drive - and in that case you will probably have the full file set there. Do you have a system restore disk?

misters 18:13 07 Dec 03

yes i have the system retore on floppy red i think.

Djohn 18:21 07 Dec 03

Then I think it's as Diodorus Siculus and Forum Editor both say. It will most likely be on an hidden partition of your Hard drive. The red floppy will give you access to this partition if ever you need to repair or re-install your system.

By using this floppy, then following the instructions, your hard drive will be returned to the exact state as when you first bought your PC. j.

misters 18:28 07 Dec 03

I dont think i'm getting what you are all saying my dvd rom is fine i just wanted to know if i could put the software that came preinstalled on my pc onto a disc for backup puposes in the future.
Thanx.

VoG II 18:32 07 Dec 03

In simple terms, the software for your scanner is scattered all over different places on your hard drive, including the registry. Therefore there is no practical way to copy it onto a disk.

Valvegrid 18:37 07 Dec 03

Why don't you just back-up the whole drive?

Djohn 18:40 07 Dec 03

As VoG says, your software for all of your programs and operating system,including the drive are already backed up on an hidden partition of your main drive.

If anything goes wrong, then by using the red floppy you will have access to this partition to replace all your software, so no need to make a backup of your system.

Making a backup of your files as you go along is a different thing, and something you should do just in case you need to reinstall your operating system. j.

misters 20:07 07 Dec 03

Cheers guys i will resolve with the knowledge that it cant be done simply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…