Just lost two hours of work...pls help.

nick_j007 22:38 16 May 05

Just been typing in a Microsoft Works document for some time and the prog. closed on me due to an error of some sorts.
All my hard work was lost :-(

I suspect not, but is there any way to get this back please?

I did not save it as I went (ouch!) so the document only has a 'Save as' title.

Live 'n learn eh?

Nick

DieSse 22:50 16 May 05

Auto-save was added to MSWorks in version8. So if you have an earlier version - tough luck. If you have V8 or later, read your help files about Auto-save.

You can also try looking in the Temp files for files starting with ~ and a datestamp of the date of your problem - and see if any of them are helpful.

nick_j007 22:53 16 May 05

Ok, that's handy cheers.

I'm on V.7 :-(

I'll look for those temp files now, otherwise I'm re typing. Argh!

Thanks again,

Nick

nick_j007 23:01 16 May 05

I have found something that looks like it but each letter is intersected with a square box and the formatting is all over the place, but I can pick out text that is what I was working on for sure.
I was viewing it in Wordpad, I shall try another programme.
The file reads ~Qil0958

Nick

woodchip 23:08 16 May 05

The program should have a Automatic Save My WordPerfect does and I set it to save every 1 min. If it crashes next time I open WordPerfect it asks me what I want to do with the Doc Open and Rename, Delete etc. The Auto Save should be in Settings or Options, Prefs etc

sattman 23:09 16 May 05
  nick_j007 23:09 16 May 05

It won't open in Works either. I think it's FUBAR now.

Can I upgrade to 8 for free?

Nick

DieSse 23:13 16 May 05

Does Works have an "extract text from any file" option when you open a document (I know Word does, but I don't use Works)

bof:) 23:16 16 May 05

Hi nick_j007, sorry your having problems but at least I've learnt about FUBAR :-)

Mike

GroupFC 23:20 16 May 05

So do I - it's amazing what you can find on google!

nick_j007 23:20 16 May 05

I'm pretty certain this version of Works does not have an auto-save function, as I've been double checking now. Shame that ;-)

Thank you sattman for that very good link; I shall bookmark it. Worth knowing.
I really ought to use Word now as I have it on this PC!
I think it harks back to my liking of the templates when a beginner etc. Plus no one can open the .wps files if I send them on!

There does not seem to be an 'extract text option either'

Thank you all for coming to my assistance so swiftly.

Regards,

Nick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…