Just installed wireless router, but got problems

r_walsh5 08:18 06 Jun 09

Hello, got a problem.

I'm on tiscali broadband and was supplied a modem that plugged into a USB on the back of my machine. This works fine.

I've just bought a wireless router (Belkin) - installed it - hardwired via the ADSL slot on the back of my PC. Obviously removed my old tiscali USB modem. Wireless now works fine and I can connect great,

The problem I have is that when I'm surfing and then leave the PC for a while, when I come back to it the connection seems to have dropped, no problem I figure I'll just reconnect - but when I reconnect it goes back to my old fashioned type of dial up to broadband I had before (I assume it's trying to get back to the USB/modem connection that was set up before). The router is still working fine and connected, it's like the PC has forgotten that I now surf through my LAN/ADSL connection rather than thru the old USB modem broadband connection I used to have. I attempt the dial up and it fails - so i can then no longer log in. If I restart the PC then it's all fine again.

Does any of this make sense? If not then I'll post more details. Hope you can help.

Graham. 08:36 06 Jun 09

In Device Manager, Network Adapter, Properties, Power Management.

Uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'.

r_walsh5 08:45 06 Jun 09

Cheers I'll give that a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…