Just installed Windows XP

pj123 15:35 01 May 06

I have always been very reluctant to install Windows XP (mainly because of the many negative threads on this Forum)

I have (now) only two computers both running Win 98SE.

I have just bought a secondhand 20gb hard drive and Windows XP Home. Have installed it in my 2nd computer as Master and disconnected my Win 98 hard drive just in case. So am now on an extensive learning curve.

Everything seems to be OK and have updated it with SP2.

But when I plug my Belkin USB wireless adapter in it does not find the connection? I thought Win XP found everything. It was working OK on Win 98SE. Just tried a USB MP3 player and it found that OK. As I am doing this one thing at a time I don't have any Applications installed at the moment (only Win XP) so how do I get it to find my Internet connection?

Mikè 15:44 01 May 06

Install the xp drivers then plug the adapter back in. click here=

pj123 15:55 01 May 06

Mikè, that seems to defeat the object of Win XP as everyone I have spoken to say you don't need drivers, XP finds everything.

Obviously not true.

Mikè 16:06 01 May 06

Xp has more drivers built in than previous OS's but I guess it can't have them all.

By the way I note your "extensive learning curve" comment, it's worth bearing in mind that that you can make XP look very much like Win 9X (Classic start menu and taskbar etc) quite easily.

pj123 16:16 01 May 06

Mikè, so why can't I get my desktop to give me a nice dark blue screen with Windows 98 on it?

Like I have with my existing Win 98SE desktop?

I can't see that option in XP.

pj123 13:48 04 Jun 06

Given up on this XP learning curve now.

Took the hard disk out and put my Win 98SE disk back.

powerless 13:57 04 Jun 06

Mon, [email protected]:16

Was that a joke?

MS are not going to have an old and outdated wallaper on a newer OS. If you want that then just copy the wallpaper over to the XP machine.

woodchip 16:38 09 Jul 06

You can do it all like 98se as that is what I have done with both my XP desktop and XP Laptop both look like and run more or less as did 98se I also have my main desktop Comp that still runs 98se for my mail and surfing the net, ans all my main work.

Right click on desktop properties and set your desktop and windows just as 98se

ArrGee 18:01 09 Jul 06

I went through a similar situation when going from 98se to XP. The challenge of the 'learning curve' lasted around about a couple of hours, resulting in the use of an o/s that is not almost a decade old.

Hang on. What's this I hear? Vista? What's that all about!!??

SG Atlantis® 18:09 09 Jul 06

control panel , system, advanced, performance.

then choose adjust for best performance and hit apply.

that'll make xp look like just awful.

then right click the desktop, choose properties, desktop tab, set background to none and choose that old dark blue colour.

apply it.

Does it look similar to 98 or whatever now?

SG Atlantis® 18:11 09 Jul 06

set the start menu to classic aswell, though I think you have already. Right click it and choose properties, start menu tab.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…