Just had the dreaded blue screen !

SB23 18:29 30 Apr 06

Just a moment ago, while on Aol, for no apparent reason, a blue screen came up saying that Windows had been shut down to prevent damamge to the pc. It said that if this was the first time that this had happened then to reboot. It also suggested a hardware fault, and to use safe mode to see if that assumption was correct. Failing all of this it said that the bios needed updating.
It seems fine now, so what has happened?
In other words....Help, please.

Steve

01chris 18:34 30 Apr 06

Is it the first time this has happened? If so I wouldn't worry. If it happens regularly it might be time to call in the cavalry.

SB23 18:39 30 Apr 06

What do you mean call in the cavalry?
Is it likely to be really serious?

VoG II 18:41 30 Apr 06

Start, Run, type

eventvwr

and click OK.

Look for errors corresponding with the time of the crash and post them here.

Strawballs 18:43 30 Apr 06

I would'nt worry to much if it is the only time that it has happened that message you got is standard one. I had the same thing months ago on my laptop when it was only 6 months old and it has fine ever sinse

SANTOS7 18:46 30 Apr 06

click here
It is a way of telling you that something is happening inside your PC that may compromise the safe running, a good place to start would be to see if all your fans are working especially the CPU fan
your problem may be due to overheating, the link may help.....

SB23 18:54 30 Apr 06

The only one for about the time it happened is under System. It has a warning sign, and it has to do with Dhcp at 18:18:27.
Under application there's an error to do with MsiInstaller, that was just after 6pm, but that's it for todays date.

VoG II 19:00 30 Apr 06

DHCP click here

As the others have said, these things happen occasionally. Don't worry about it unless it keeps happening.

the old man 19:14 30 Apr 06

I was getting the blue screens three or four times a day and posted regularly for advice. Tried all kinds to remedy the problem. Have had one blue screen in last 2/3 months and don't know why all quiet now. As people have said, try not to worry too much, these things happen now and again and you may not find out why.

SB23 19:19 30 Apr 06

Thanks everyone, have got a funny feeling that it was a program that was running. I hadn't realized that it was running. Have uninstalled and will see what happens over next 24 hrs or so, and yes I will try not to worry.

Thanks

Steve

SB23 12:32 02 May 06

Will tick as resolved, system seems ok now.
Thanks everyone.

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009