Just got through building a new puter & need help

nmoore415 05:28 17 Oct 08

Ok I have just decided to build my first computer. I did alot of studying and really took the time to learn how to do this. This is the stuff i purchased..

BIOSTAR TForce TF720 A2+ AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 720a ATX AMD Motherboard

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30 - OEM

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

XFX PVT98GYDLU GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5000DOBOX

Rosewill R230-P-BK Black 0.5mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Ok so i got everything put together. I hooked up my monitor and keyboard. Ive read that I want to hear 1 beep. Well I got no beeps at all. I then went and tried to get into the bios. When i did that it came up on the screen to select drive. The choices were 1st floppy or sata 3m-wdc

I didnt select either. I hit escape then the screen went to bio flasher utility. After a second it popped up on the screen "no possible bios file found."

I do not have on OS installed yet, but from what Ive read i need to do a first boot and listen for the beeps before installing the OS.

Im lost as to where to go from here. Thanks to anyone that can please help me. I truly appreciate it

Nathan

crosstrainer 05:34 17 Oct 08

If you have not connected your pc speaker cable (small connection near where you connected your PSU and HDD led connections) you won't hear any beeps.

I have 1 machine that has remained Beep free since I built it :)

I would insert the OS DVD into your drive, and boot from it after checking that your speaker cable is connected, or not there at all.

nmoore415 05:51 17 Oct 08

Ik there is a 9 pin thing that says audio that came with my case. I plugged that into the corresponding audio spot which is in the far corner of the motherboard.. Furthest corner of the motherboard from the fron panel of the case. It barely reaches. I have this connected. Is there another audio connector im missing?

crosstrainer 05:56 17 Oct 08

You will not get beeps from your sound card. The connection you need to make is a small black pug (usually three pin) next to where your power switch and re-set connections are made.

Refer to your motherboard manual for the specific polarity and connection pins.

nmoore415 06:06 17 Oct 08

ok i have the reset, and power on off and stuff and the motherboard does have a 3 pin area for a speaker area but i do not see any speaker wire coming from the case. would that be part of the case or a wire i got from the motherboard?

Thanks for your help

crosstrainer 06:06 17 Oct 08

Usually a black plug marked SPKR

crosstrainer 06:08 17 Oct 08

If no small speaker was supplied with the mobo, and your case hasn't got one either, then forget the beeps.

Some cases have a small speaker in them, but many do not any longer.

nmoore415 06:19 17 Oct 08

ok so speaker is out. So just try to do the os installation and hope for the best?

crosstrainer 06:20 17 Oct 08

Enter BIOS screen

Set "First Boot Device" to DVD / CD

Re-boot

Install OS :))

crosstrainer 06:21 17 Oct 08

....With the OS DVD CD in the drive when you re-boot

nmoore415 06:29 17 Oct 08

That just it though i cant enter the bios screen. When i try to goto the bios screen i get what I said in my original post

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now