Just in case...Help

rickf 11:21 04 Apr 08

Hi,
I was recording my son's guitar recital when about 2/3rds of the way up came disc error on my DVD camcorder. Everything went well until then. I have not been able to finalise the disc and its is not readable by the device. Is there anyway I can save/retrieve the recording. Recorded on 8cm DVD-R. Any suggestions would be very welcome as I would very much like to save this recording for sentimental reasons for many years to come.

Ditch999 11:44 04 Apr 08

Have you tried it on a PC? There is some good free software available for data recovery eg O&O click here You have to pay for these recent versions but cover CDs in the past have supplied free versions of older programmes. I have a free version of Diskrecovery3

woodchip 11:49 04 Apr 08

Don't think you can do anything with it.

PS hold it up to the light and you may see a pin hole in the foil

rickf 11:53 04 Apr 08

Hi Ditch999
Its worth a try. I have put it in the PC but obviously it would not read as it has not been finalised in the Cam. Any chance of the free version of Diskrecovery from you and if so how should I approach you.
Thanks too for woodchips input. I want to try anyway and not just give up.

Woolwell 11:57 04 Apr 08

Did you put it into a DVD reader or DVD writer/reader on your PC? Strangely I found that I could read a DVD-R disc on the writer but not a standalone reader. But may not help you in this case.

Ditch999 11:59 04 Apr 08

I was just looking at the website and see that they now do a dedicated media recovery tool called O&O MediaRecovery 4. You can download trial versions of these programmes and they will scan you DVD to see if anything is recoverable but wont let you recover it until you buy a license. I had the same problem with a friends disc which had his precious memories on it and thats when I got Diskrecovery3 which worked for me.

imgburn
click here
has an option to close disc,maybe an option if other avenues dont work out.

Ditch999 12:07 04 Apr 08

You could also have a look at DiskInternals click here

rickf 12:10 04 Apr 08

thanks all. just got thr free version of o&o 4. Will try it first and come back later.

rickf 16:52 04 Apr 08

HI, To all who has helped so far. Can't get the software to scan my disc. I'll keep trying others but the prospects are not too bright. Will feedback as it may help others in future.

Ditch999 16:54 04 Apr 08

The DiskInternals one is specifically for your problem. If it doesn't work then I would not be too hopeful of a recovery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac