Just can't shut down or restart in Win XP Home :(

GibsonSt19 10:24 10 Dec 04

Sorry, I'd just posted this in the wrong forum (Speakers Corner) :(

If I go to START, then Turn of computer, I just can't Restart or Shut Down totally..

The computer seems to start killings tasks etc and my desktop disappears for a sec, but then it reappears and the restart/shutting down process is no more!

I also get some sort of "Windows has encountered and error" type message, but it really doesn't give any details at all.

Your thoughts would be most welcome.

ICF 10:43 10 Dec 04

Sorry but you have to give a little more info than that!!!

What are you running Windows 98,ME or XP?

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 10:50 10 Dec 04

have you tryed holding in the power button turning of turn on then do a restart

GibsonSt19 10:57 10 Dec 04

As the tite indicates, I'm suing Windows XP Home.

I've tried a hard reset (which of course works), however any soft resets/shut downs till don't work.

As the tite indicates, I'm running Windows XP Home.

I've tried a hard reset (which of course works), however any soft resets/shut downs till don't work.

As the title indicates, I'm running Windows XP Home.

curlylad 11:03 10 Dec 04

Have a look here , this is a winXP shutdown/restart troubleshooter click here

rawprawn 11:33 10 Dec 04

First run something like Adaware to check for any nasties, if it's clear run a system file check. Go to Start / Run / Type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and / ) you will need your XP Disc.

GibsonSt19 13:10 10 Dec 04

I've tried both already rawprawn, you're obviously thinking the same way I am, but this just hasn't resolved it.

ICF 14:14 10 Dec 04

Could be a corrupted driver for sound or graphics.Have you tried updating or reinstalling them?

rawprawn 14:21 10 Dec 04

click here have a look here and see if this helps.Have you recently added or removed any programs ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…