jumping cursor

mad1234 20:54 13 May 10

Hi guys
i have a friend who is having trouble typing on her laptop.
when she is typing the cursor jumps from the window she is typing in to either another window or up to the dropdown menu at the top of the screen (ie.File)
she is getting very frustrated with this

could it be a sticky button on her keyboard as she has already had the keyboard replaced twice or could it be something else?

thanks
mad1234

MAT ALAN 21:12 13 May 10

has been known to be self inflicted by the sensitivity of the touchpad, your thumbs could be brushing on the touchpoad just enough to move the cursor, reduce sensitivity of touchpad and see what happens...

click here

this may also help...

1. Go to Control Panel
2. Click on "Mouse"
3. Click on "Pointer Options"
4. Uncheck "Hide pointer while typing"
5. Click "Apply"
5. Click "OK"

mad1234 21:18 13 May 10

thanks MAT ALAN
i will ask her about her thuumbs & get her to try hiding the pointer when i talk to her again

mad1234 17:47 15 May 10

ok guys
i want to turn the tap on the touchpad off but i cannot find the properties for the touchpad. i can only find properties for a ps2 mouse

can anyone help

Sea Urchin 12:49 16 May 10

Click on the ‘Hardware’ tab and then on the ‘Device Manager’. Here you will ?nd an entry titled ‘Mice and other pointing devices’ in the ‘Device Manager’ window. When you double-click on this entry, it shows the touchpad as a PS/2 Compatible mouse.

mad1234 16:20 16 May 10

Thanks sea urchin but I already tried that & there is no option To disable the tap function unless i'm missing something

Sea Urchin 16:35 16 May 10

What is the make and model of the laptop?

Sea Urchin 17:04 16 May 10

There is a small freeware program called TouchFreeze which disables the touchpad while you are using the keyboard

click here

But there should definitely be a setting to disable the pad in the laptop - maybe under Synaptics.

mad1234 17:51 16 May 10

It is a Dell laptop. Not sure which model
I will try that program
thanks sea urchin for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…