Jumpers and Com ports

amd33 22:32 24 Jul 04

I am currently doing a Course on Certs a+ restoration of PCs I am at the fault finding section 6 and can not get the hang of the settings the question I have to answer is If I had to configure new comn ports wha jumpers would have to be moved and to where how would I do it.
I just can not get the hang at all can anyone help
desperate student

woodchip 22:36 24 Jul 04

jumpers are on the modem card or in the external modem, you have to change com port and Irq settings with jumpers. And normaly have a choise of two different com settings

woodchip 22:37 24 Jul 04

Not all modems support jumpers

amd33 22:40 24 Jul 04

I do realise this but Ill put it to you the Q i have is write down which pins on JP1 and JP2 would be shortened and at what positions in order to achieve the correct configuration/ and the second part goes on to ask wrtite down the displays I would expect to see once these changes have been made by running a diagnostic testing

woodchip 22:46 24 Jul 04

You would have to have a particular modem or diagram to know what to look at. As they are\all different

amd33 22:49 24 Jul 04

I know but the answer is probablly right in front of me & I just cannot see it !!!
cheers anyway

woodchip 22:58 24 Jul 04

i have a old modem now in my hand jumpers are on pin2 that gives com2 irq on pin3 gives irq4 and a jumper on pins six. the com ports apperat to support pins 124and6 the rest are for irq's up to number 15 irq

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…