Jumper Settings...

Slithe 19:52 09 Jun 05

I have deliberately set this aside from my initial post 'HDD Help!!'

When I installed the second drive - I placed the jumper settings to slave. Presumably, the initial HDD had a cable select setting.

Would setting one HD to cable select and another to slave cause a slow start up?

If so - this could be the root of a slow start-up.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:03 09 Jun 05

Use either

1. master on end of cable and slave on centre connection.

2. both drives set to CS cable select

(this only works if your motherboard supports it which all the latest do)

Slithe 21:14 09 Jun 05

When I posted this in my HDD Help! problem - I was told that this was not a problem, but anti-virus software was!

Would a slow start up also be caused by incorrect jumper settings for DVD/CD Drives on slave and master?

DieSse 21:19 09 Jun 05

The way Fruit Bat /\0/\ put it is IMHO a tad confusing.

If you set both drives to cable Select - then the one at the end connector is automatically the Master, and the one in the Centre connector is automatically the Slave. ie - they are selected by their positions on the cable-

If you set them explicitly to Master and Slave then they are Master and Slave irrespective of which position on the cable they are on. (except that if you have only one drive on a cable it should always be on the end connector, for electrical noise considerations.)

You shouldn't mix the two types of settings - though I'm not sure it would cause a slow Windows bootup.

De Marcus 21:19 09 Jun 05

You were told it was the most likely source of the problem as you didn't mention the possibility of the first hard drive being cable select, ah well...

Try to stick with one thread click here

dan11 22:12 09 Jun 05

When I read your first thread, I was under the impression that you had not moved the jumper on your original hard drive and set the second as slave. Under normal circumstances, that would mean the the primary boot drive "C" to be set as master.

If the primary master "C" drive is on cable select, it would be worthwhile switching the jumper to master.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…