.jpg as .jpeg in windows XP

theodor 17:30 14 Apr 05

When I use "Save as" to save a .jpg photo in IE6 from the web, the file is saved as a .jpeg file.
When I want to save the next photo, the .jpeg photographs do not show up in the "Save as" box, only the names of .jpg files.
I think this is a Win XP problem and not related to graphics software. ThumbsPlus 7 has the same problem as IE 6 but Photoshop 7 & Elements2 are OK.
Before posting a reply, try saving a .jpg file in IE and then another and see if the first is listed in the "Save as" box. (I know I can change .jpeg to .jpg before saving but I am fed up with doing it!)

Stuartli 17:49 14 Apr 05

As far as I am aware they are both the same in the end.

mattyc_92 17:53 14 Apr 05

Thats what I have always thought....

They are the same compression rate and both formats are for Images (obviously).... So what is the differnce appart from the file extention

Technotiger 18:17 14 Apr 05

JPEG= Joint Photographic Expert Group standards for image compression that is an increasingly popular compressed graphics image file, the extension for which is usually jpg. Because large and high resolution graphics images with considerable color depth require massive amounts of storage (e.g., over 30 Mb) for each image, compression routines that create images almost as good with substantially fewer storage requirements are highly desirable. Doyle (1994b) calls several options "awesome," including the $940 Fast Electronic's Movie Machine Pro (415-802-0772) with M-JPEG and Avi file capturing options. Similarly, he calls the $570 Intel Smart Video Recorder (800-538-3373) and the $890 Micro Computer microVIDEO DC1 tv (800-249-6476) awesome. JPEG images are generally of sufficient quality that it is not necessary to utilize more storage space for uncompressed files. JPEG compression of graphics images requires no special playback boards. When using any compression utility such as JPEG, it pays to study the limitations. For example, JPEG compression does not work especially well with hard edges and lines in graphics images. Black and white images should never be compressed into JPEG images. Also conversions from GIF to JPEG may be disappointing since GIF images are usually color reduced before becoming GIF images. Also math coprocessors will not speed up JPEG graphics since JPEG algorithms use only integer arithmetic. JPEG can be used with motion video cards such as the RasterOps MoviePak2 video compression daughter card for Mac computers.

theodor 21:19 14 Apr 05

What has your post to do with my question? I know what a jpeg is thank you!!

Technotiger 21:26 14 Apr 05

I wont bother in future - I was simply pointing out that JPEG and JPG are one and the same thing,
which is what I thought you were asking.

Technotiger 21:26 14 Apr 05

Perhaps you should be more careful in wording your question.

Border Collie 21:31 14 Apr 05

(I know I can change .jpeg to .jpg before saving but I am fed up with doing it!)

Why not just leave it as .jpeg? It won't make any difference and the attitude will remain the same.

theodor 22:52 14 Apr 05

It does make a difference as .jpeg files are not listed in the Windows "Save as" box, and therefor you can't see which picture files are present ( See my post at the top of the page and try it!)

Sans le Sou 23:08 14 Apr 05

Well go to folder options and associate all the jpeg variants to the same thing.

Stuartli 08:55 15 Apr 05

>>I was simply pointing out that JPEG and JPG are one and the same thing>>

To be fair I think that theodor might also have inferred it was perhaps a bit long winded...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…