JPG image files from Digital Camera

tammam 16:22 09 Oct 03

Hi,
I've got a Nikon CoolPix 2500 digital camera which produces .jpg files. I want to edit my pictures without loss of quality since the images are produced in jpg format and jpg is generally a lossy format. can you please advise me of the best program that will allow me to edit the jpg files without re-compressing them. Also, if there isn't such a program would converting the files to TIFF or PNG and, editing them then re-converting them into jpg file format help in any way?

thanks in advance

Stuartli 16:34 09 Oct 03

I think you might be getting a bit mixed up with your .tif and .jpeg files.

I have a Minolta Dimage E203 which produces .tif files but each shot is listed in Irfanview in both .tif and .jpeg form - the first might be around 3MB and the second 265kb.

BarryKeith 16:36 09 Oct 03

Give Irfanview a try, you can set the jpeg quality at 100% so that you don't lose anything. It's also possible to change from one format to another if you so wish.

Diemmess 16:42 09 Oct 03

BarryKeith shows the way.

Heavyweight programs also allow the operator to save "full size" in .jpg or various degrees of compression. Just make sure initially that they are saved without compression because you can always tinker with the file size later and "save-as" a small file for emailing, while keeping the original if you wish.

anchor 16:58 09 Oct 03

You could use something like Irfanview to make a Tiff copy of the originals, work on them, then save the final versions back into a jpg.

Irfanview is free, and can be downloaded here:

click here

download both the programme and the plug-ins.

hssutton 17:32 09 Oct 03

I always convert immediately to Tiff's and save them as tiff's, and for this I use Photoshop. But if you prefer, always use a copy of your Jpeg to work on, this way you will get no degredation of your original image. As Diemmess says you can, on many imaging programs, save your Jpegs without compression, no compression = no loss of quality.

tammam 18:04 09 Oct 03

what's so special about Infraview? is it because it's free would photoshop or elements help me achieve the same results.

hssutton 19:05 09 Oct 03

Photoshop will do everything far better than Irfanview, but then it costs £500+. Elements will do all that you require and more, as will Irfanview which costs you nothing. However I dislike Irfanview and would not have it on my PC. A great many other people swear by it. I guess it's a case of if you like it, use it.

anchor 19:32 09 Oct 03

I mentioned Irfanview, because I did not know what imaging programme tammam might have. It will certainly do basic image editing.

My personal favourite is Paint Shop Pro which will also do what he/she requires. I am not a fan of Photoshop elements, and I consider Photoshop grossly overpriced, with the latest version costing close to £600.

netols 09:47 15 Oct 03

So - once you have a picture in .jpg how do you email it? I have had no success with files around 120KB. I can send them ok but no-one receives them. Is it likely to be a format thing or the size?
If the latter, what is a std image size to send?

hssutton 10:08 15 Oct 03

I frequently email photo's 1600 pixels wide/high @ just under 1 Mb, so you should have no problems at 120Kb in jpeg format. If the quality of your photo is not to important you could reduce it much more to approx 50K or even less. It is then just a case of attaching them to your email.

Harry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…