A .jpg .dat email, does it have a virus?

Kitz E Kat 08:40 22 Sep 03

Hi, i just got five emails from my bro, can't ring him he's in Canada and in bed now!!

I opened two, just .jpg files, no problem..

When i tried to open the third it said it was a .dat file but could try to open it anyway, i did'nt!!!!

It sent that and the last two to the deleted section, when i checked the last two , they were both the same, .jpg .dat files...

Shown as 'filename101-104.jpg[1-2].dat'

I have NAV and Firewall both fully updated, and got no notice from Norton to say they had a virus..

That's where its at..

I guess it's best to delete them, but is it a virus or a 'glitch' or something?

Kitz E Kat

Kitz E Kat 08:43 22 Sep 03

I just saved one of the attachments to the desktop, and scaned it with NAV, no virus found?

Have to go to work will check back ASAP

Thanks for any ideas,
Happy Monday!!!
Kitz E Kat

DieSse 08:48 22 Sep 03

I think your brother has simply sent you a file from his system by mistake - but in any case simply delete the email and ask him to confirm what he did send you. This is as safe as you can get.

MAJ 08:54 22 Sep 03

Looks like the may be a jpg file split in two, with a file splitter, or OE's own splitting option, Kitz E Kat. Have you tried Combine and Decode from the "Message" menu in OE? If not you'll have to ring your brother get him to re-send.

Kitz E Kat 18:14 22 Sep 03

Funny you should mention that!!

He also sent the same to my sister, she has a mac running OSX, she could not open the thing at all....

However may be unrelated but my laptop,that is where i downloaded the mail, is no gone mad!!

It emmited a really loud high pitch noise , like white noise, and now i can not get it online,its on a wireless network and all the settings and signal is ok and norton AV is gone bellyup...

Not a happy Kat

Chris the Ancient 20:47 22 Sep 03

It sure looks like your friend is using a Mac.

When a mac makes a directory for some files, it adds the .dat extension to an enclosing folder. I suspect that what you are picking up with this wierd looking file name is just the folder as designed by mac.

A long time ago, I had to do cross-platform work and I just learned to reject these .dat thingies.

Kitz E Kat 21:12 22 Sep 03

No it was from a PC for sure,i got seven emails from the bro and the sister got two , with a weird error message....

This is mad!!!!

Now i open OE and the send/ receive tab is grayed out, i can't click on it..

I loaded up NAV 2004 and did a full scan but it found nothin, meanwhile my lapper is totally screwed up!!!
So, on a prefectly working fully loaded up to date lapper, i download 'dodgy' files which have no virus, and more or less straight after the computer goes mad?????

Something fishey!!!

A very unhappy Kat :-(

BillyBee 07:36 23 Sep 03

My AVG has picked up a couple of Double extension files like yours and reported them as a virus, I removed one of the extensions, In your case ?.dat and [1-2]? leaving the file as a .jpg, it then worked ok.

I don?t know whether this is anything to do with your problem, but thought I would chuck this in, on the off chance it would help.

Chris the Ancient 09:44 23 Sep 03

If it looks as though OE is the only dodgy bit, is it worth just going for a repair job on that application?

Have you got a system restore point you can go back to?

It might clear the gryed out send/receive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…