jpg attachments not saved with jpg extension

AroundAgain 23:20 19 Jul 09

Windows XP
Mozilla Thunderbird

Can someone please help.

When saving .jpg attachments in Thunderbird, the jpg extension isn't added so, unless I remember to put .jpg at the end of the file name, it is saved as an unidentified file type.

Obviously I can add the .jpg extension by going to the file itself but I would like the attachment to be assigned the file type automatically, as it has done previously - I don't know what changed it, nor when!

.jpg file type is not available in the drop down box when saving.

I'm sure there is a simple reason for this but I can't work it out. I hope someone is able to help me.

Thanks very much
Julie

woodchip 23:28 19 Jul 09

you should be able to create an attachment to jpg, by going to control panel\folder options\file types then new button

woodchip 23:31 19 Jul 09

You need to associate it with Thunderbird mail

AroundAgain 00:27 20 Jul 09

Hi Woodchip
Thanks. However, in question, I need to know how to get Thunderbird to Save As .jpg. Currently, when it saves a jpg, it doesn't give the extension so the file is saved as unidentifiable.

I've been to Folder Options and jpg/jpeg is assigned to open in Win Pictures and Fax, which is fine. It is the Save As ... extension that I am having the problem with.

Maybe you or someone has some more ideas.
Much appreciated
Julie

bgrave 01:47 20 Jul 09

How about :- Computer-Tools-Folder options-View and remove the tick from "Hide Extensions for known File type" and apply. By the way I am using Vista HP.

AroundAgain 09:15 20 Jul 09

Hi bgrave

Brilliant - spot on!!! Thunderbird now Saves As... with the relevant extension. Only this morning did I realise other attachments don't have extensions either, as they are unidentified too!

Woodchip, you were so close!!! Be encouraged!

Thanks to both of you, for all your help.
Cheers
Julie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced