jpegs to bitmaps

philtree 20:10 22 Jun 05

Hello everyone can anyone help? I've recently noticed that images saved from my camera to comuputer are no longer saved as jpeg files but are saved as bitmap/BMP files.Why is this? can these files be converted back to jpegs.

sam2004 20:26 22 Jun 05

open the photos in paint

Start> Run> type "mspaint" hit "enter"

once you have opened the photoin paint you can go to "save as" and select JPG from the drop down menu then click save

sam2004 20:26 22 Jun 05

open the photos in paint

Start> Run> type "mspaint" hit "enter"

once you have opened the photo in paint you can go to "save as" and select JPG from the drop down menu then click save

philtree 00:11 23 Jun 05

ok thanks will give it go

Kev.Ifty 00:26 23 Jun 05

To convert files try InfranView
click here

Its very good and Free!

Kev

philtree 00:38 23 Jun 05

Thanks kev. that does look very good. still mysified though as to why recent images have changed to BMP format.

Kev.Ifty 00:57 23 Jun 05

Pesala recommended InfaView to me. I wanted to create icons. I found it to be an excellent programme.

That BMP/Bitmap Thing.... Does this mean anything to you?

click here

Kev.

philtree 16:38 23 Jun 05

Yes Thanks alot very helpful i seem to have got my head round it now. I'm going to dload infraview.. this looks good. Thanks agin everyone

jack 19:37 23 Jun 05

That is unsual situation for camera images to save as Bitmaps- This must be a Camera software thing
as Camera inevitally save as RAW.TIFF. or XIF[which shows on computer as JPEG, it being a special 'camera version of JPEG recording extra info.]

The Bitmap situation is no bad thing becuase the image stays full, whereas a Jpeg Image is compressed by losing data, and every move made by the operator crop/colour correct/reverse/ and then saved - compress the image again- eventually the image become unusable.
There trade off is of course - BMP are big files and lots of disk space is needed.
So keep the Bitmaps and burn em on to discs

philtree 14:27 24 Jun 05

I entered the photographic competition " A digital picture of Britain" on the BBCs website. One of the stipulations is that all entries must be in jpeg format, it was only when I'd had an image rejected because it was in the wrong format (BMP) and then looking through my recently saved pictures they were all saved as bitmap/BMP files. I couldn't understand the change. Thanks for your input though very helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…