JPEG verses RAW quality

Simon_P 18:18 01 Sep 03

Please can anyone help with a file query?

I am using digital camera that supports both jpeg (with low ?2.4meg? and High ?1.2meg? file size, compression) and RAW(8meg) lossless file formats. From a 6.3 Megapixle CCD

As some of these Images are required to be printed at 12?X10? to lab standards, will there be any noticeable difference between JPEG and RAW?

Normally RAW is not a problem, and is just a storage problem when away, and JPEG offers far more images to be stored.

Thanks in advance

Simon.

-pops- 18:30 01 Sep 03

JPEG is a lossy format where the data is compressed and making sequential copies i.e. copy of a copy of a copy etc. will result in deterioration of quality.

RAW is lossless and all copies will be identical to the original.

If you want to maintain high quality, keep to a lossless format. You may wish to change that from RAW though (bitmap or TIFF for instance).

Diemmess 18:39 01 Sep 03

You are going to have this one more thing to think about every time you photograph something.

If you are "snapping" I defy anyone to tell the difference at 12 x 10. Choosing the small file format will in effect make no difference for most pictures and give much faster results allowing another shutter press sooner and smaller memory use too.

But if you are doing some archival thing for gallery display or prestigious publications then you will have to plan it and use the RAW setting.

I am really satisfied with my mid-range setting on a 5M pixel camera, but then while I cannot print above A4, I have to enlarge about 400% before I wish I had used a higher resolution.

Simon_P 18:39 01 Sep 03

Thank you
That answers my question.

Is there an advantage to converting to TIFF or Bitmap?

Simon_P 18:48 01 Sep 03

Thank you

I agree with you entirely, I persionally use max setting unless I am runing low on space. Firstly so there is no regret later on insufucent quality, and secondly you have to pay a lot for high MP cams so you might as well use it.

I am not currently doing gallery work but hope to be doing some in the future, but will be storing all (decent) photos.

Simon

-pops- 19:05 01 Sep 03

Not really. Bitmaps and TIFFs are a bit more popular than RAW and, of course there are other formats.

If you are going for publication, check with your printer which they prefer.

As Diemmess says, though, on early generation JPEGS you will be hard pushed to tell any difference between them and non lossy format prints unless you are going to very high enlargement.

Brian

hssutton 19:16 01 Sep 03

The main difference in using Raw as apposed to Tiff or Jpeg is that both Tiffs and Jpegs contain in camera processing where as Raw does not.

What this means is that you set your colour balance, brightness/contrast, colour and sharpness + the ISO setting in software, giving you far better control over the finished image. It is however only on occasions that I shoot in Raw, usually when shooting in poor conditions

Simon_P 17:22 02 Sep 03

Thanks to you all, I think that answers my question and more besides

Simon

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…