JPEG or TIFF

TommyRed 11:33 22 Mar 04

I'm sure I read somewhere, probably here, that a JPEG image becomes degraded after it's been opened a few times and the images should be converted to TIFF. Is this correct? and can TIFF images be transferred to a VCD and opened normally? TR

AubreyS 12:12 22 Mar 04

I have never heard of jpg's degrading. I have used this format for years and have some quite old jpg's and have not noticed any degrading at all. There is some info if you click here

Diemmess 12:22 22 Mar 04

It is possible to compress (shed) some of the file each time it is saved as a jpg.

It should also be possible to have full control of how much if any compression is being permitted.

For example, Corel Photopaint in the option to Save-As can vary the compression and other important parameters from zero to quite high factors. I keep my settings at zero and don't have to worry about non-existing degradation.

Conversion to another format like TIFF, BMP, and so on depends on the software but needs only to be done for specific reasons, you do what you want and ignore hearsay.

TommyRed 12:25 22 Mar 04

Thanks All, TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…