JPEG Files

MikeyS 09:58 09 Feb 03

I have scanned in a whole bunch of photos, saved as medium size files - how do I reduce file size of individual photos - they need to go on a webpage

MAJ 10:09 09 Feb 03

You can use a graphics manipulation package to reduce the file size, such as PaintShop Pro or Photoshop but a good fre package is Irfanview. click here

MAJ 10:10 09 Feb 03

fre: should be free.

Pesala 10:13 09 Feb 03

This topic has been discussed many times before. Lots of details on the web about the Pros and Cons of JPEG images, GIFs and PNG graphics.

Reducing resolution is not the only way to reduce file sizes, reducing image quality (ie increasing compression) saves space too. Most photos compress very well and look OK at 20% quality. Google search for JPEG, GIF, or PNG, or search this site for short answers, e.g.

click here

wint 10:18 09 Feb 03

It depends on the Photo Imaging software you use, the popular ones such as Paint Shop Pro have the option to alter the amount of compression under options, Click "File", "Save As", choose the type of image to save (.jpg) and then somewhere in the save window there should be "Options". The amount of compression to choose should be there. I have looked at the 3 photo progs I have on this machine and, whilst looking a Little different to each other they all do the same thing.

Failing that, use a 3rd party programme, look at google with words such as "jpeg optimizer". This will give hundreds of responses - at around $15 upwards, some may be free.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Steve- 10:21 09 Feb 03

In XP I use the Microsoft "Image Resizer" Powertoy available from the MS Site, this gives a right click menu item to create large medium or small images ideal for web sites.

MikeyS 11:11 09 Feb 03

Thanks to all - sorted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…