Joystick calibration problems

San Alwigi 14:39 18 Sep 08

Hello,

When attempting to calibrate two different joysticks on my PC via the Game Controllers icon in Control Panel, I always get the same problem:

When going through the cross hair style settings for calibration, the central + sign doesn't move freely around the calibrations box as it should. This then affects performance when using it to play a game (normally pretty basic flight sim stuff that my son plays). I don't think it's the joysticks as it happens with both - could it be the graphics card or something?

Any help warmly appreciated,

Thank you

crosstrainer 14:41 18 Sep 08

Most joysticks need software of their own to run properly. What are the make and model(s) of the controllers you are using? We can then find the right drivers for them.

Also, Windows version?

San Alwigi 14:52 18 Sep 08

One joystick is good old fashioned 6 button Microsoft Sidewinder (a bit old actually, doesn't even have a USB connection) and the other is a budget version, aGenius MaxFighter F-16U that I bought earlier this year. Both used to work perfectly. I run Windows XP Professional. My graphics/video card is an ATI Radeon 9250 with 128mb
Many thanks

crosstrainer 14:57 18 Sep 08

Side Winder:

click here

The agenius has no downloadable software. Try a system cleanup and defrag, download and install the Microsoft drivers, and see how you get on.

San Alwigi 20:50 19 Sep 08

But it seems that I already have that driver for the MS Sidewinder. Had a brainwave - tried both joysticks on another PC - same problem, so I suspect the joysticks themselves must be at fault. Sorry to waste your time, thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant