Joining c: & d: drives together

Aaron-188486 15:17 11 Dec 07

Hi Chaps and Chapesses,

Can anyone recommend a free program I could use that could join together my C & D drives without losing data?

Also the c: is NTFS which is an acceptable format I believe but for some reason the d: is FAT32, I need something that would sort that too.

Thanks in advance

sunny staines 15:19 11 Dec 07

norton partition magic is very good, but is not free.

MAJ 15:34 11 Dec 07

Be careful, if you didn't partition the drive yourself, then the D: drive might be a recovery partition. It is usual that some manufacturers will format your C: drive as NTFS, but the recovery drive as FAT32.

Aaron-188486 15:36 11 Dec 07

Really? That's a shame.

I find it really annoying having to seperate between 2 hard disks. it would be so much easier with one big one.

But I am grateful for the advice

MAJ 15:50 11 Dec 07

What size are each of the patitions? The recovery drive (D:) will usually be considerably smaller (with very little free space) than the main drive. The recovery drive will usually be less than 10GB in size.

Aaron-188486 15:53 11 Dec 07

Both are 80gb. When I bought it it was billed as 160gb, I was annoyed when it came with 2 seperate drives.

ventanas 16:02 11 Dec 07

I assume we are talking of one partitioned drive here, and not two separate discs. If just the one with two partitions some info as to the partition size could ascertain whether one is a recovery partition or not, but it does sound like it. Is this how things were when you got the machine?
If the fat32 drive is for recovery you should not be using it for anything at all.

ventanas 16:03 11 Dec 07

Sorry folks, typed it out and got distracted. Should have checked before posting.
Not a recovery partition then. But could still be either one or two drives. Can you check it Disk management?

Aaron-188486 16:08 11 Dec 07

I didn't think to check if they are two seperate hard drives. Or just one, I just presumed it was one. Any tips how I could find this out? Also I'm not at home so Id have to check it when I get back.

ventanas 16:12 11 Dec 07

Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc

A window will open showing details of your drives. If a single partitioned drive, one will be a primary partition and the other will probably a logical drive. Look at the colour coding.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:14 11 Dec 07

My compter right click - manage - storage - disk management

If two disks will show as Disk0 and disk1
if one drive you will seeit as disk0 and split into two partition on that disk.

DO NOT mess with partitions or file systems if your drives contain recvery data.

If you are using Windows XP, it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…