jetway skt 478 pc keeps restartrng?

stevo28 13:48 05 Dec 07

i have just bought a used Jetway P4MFP533 motherboard with skt 478 p4 1.6ghz cpu included on ebay knwoing the mobo has a restart problem.

I have installed 1 x 512mb ddr 266mhz to get going; the manual states you can use ddr 266 but doesn't make this 100% clear as it also refers to other mobo models.

I have installed windows xp no problem; but the pc restarts approx 15 secs after powering on. The motherboard has a 6-pin aux male socket labelled P6; i haven't got an aux connector on my psu & an aux adapter appears impossible to find. Has anyone had this fault, I'm guessing could be 333mhz memory required and/or the aux connection is essential for voltage stability etc.

Any ideas would be much appreciated,
cheers,

Why wont it work 14:09 05 Dec 07

If the motherboard has a restart problem it is probably that which is causing the problem- as in its broken. I'm not really sure what to suggest other than disabling all non-essential things in the bios such as onboard sound etc and trying to boot up with the absolute minimum possible number of expansion cards (ie one stick of ram, use onboard graphics and not a graphics card if you can etc etc)

The power supply might be underpowered if it doesnt have a 6-pin motherboard connection, or just too old. I think most recent psus come with them, or the newer 8 pin version. Try it with a power supply which has the right connect too if you are willing to put more money into it...

stevo28 15:58 05 Dec 07

thanks for your advice, will try some of your suggestions at the w'end; if no joy will probably resell the cpu minus the motherboard.

stevo28 15:58 05 Dec 07

thanks for your advice, will try some of your suggestions at the w'end; if no joy will probably resell the cpu minus the motherboard.

stevo28 22:34 17 Jan 08

purchased a new psu (needed a new one anyway); since install of new psu have done the following: cleared the cmos settings, reloaded bios's standard defaults but pc is still rebooting. Any ideas would be welcome, although does seem the mobo has seen better days, cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…