Jerky video playback

InCog 08:17 11 Oct 03

Jerky video playback
I've been running VHS video clips copied onto my home computer and then transferred to my laptop in school. The film is very jerky, though the audio file is fine. I've noticed that the processor (celeron 1133mhz) is working at over 90% capacity while the video is running. Is the processor too slow or is there insufficient RAM (256 SDRAM)? How fast would the processor need to be to ensure smooth running pictures? I've tried ringing DELL but they say it's a software issue and aren't interested.

bremner 08:53 11 Oct 03

I have a Athlon 750Mhz with 512MB Ram based machine and that plays video back with no jerkiness. So Dells comment may have value. What software are you using (inc OS)

MichelleC 09:47 11 Oct 03

Also is dma enabled on hd?

InCog 11:46 11 Oct 03

Bremner:
I'm using XP Pro. I copy the VHS tape using a Belkin VideoBus and Videowave s/ware then use Divx to compress the avi files to about 30mb. Then I burn the file to a CD and transfer it the school laptop and run it through Moviemaker 2.0 or Media player as part of a PowerPoint presentation. Either way, the kids just laugh because the platyback looks so naff - one cocked up lesson!

Michelle C: I don't know this means! is it important and how would I do it?

bremner 11:52 11 Oct 03

It maybe that you are lacking in RAM. XP Pro has a recommended 128MB requirement itself.

MichelleC 16:27 11 Oct 03

Go to device manager/IDE ATA ATAPI Controllers/ right-click each hd/Properties/Advanced Settings and select DAM if available. (Some mobos don't support this (you can tell from bios).

MichelleC 16:28 11 Oct 03

...dylexia rules ko... should be DMA.

MichelleC 16:28 11 Oct 03

...dyslexia rules ko... should be DMA.

InCog 18:59 11 Oct 03

DMA is enabled. I've also downloaded Media Player 9 and the video does seem to be running better...Thanks for your help, anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5