Jerky DVD playback...sometimes

dendrite 22:56 27 Dec 04

I have a 4 year old 1 Ghz speed Mesh computer with a 32Mb Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400 graphics card. For viewing DVDs I have the version of PowerDVD that came with the PC. Operating system is XP Home. Drivers for the graphics card are up to date (as judged by XP).

There is a problem viewing some DVDs. Sound is uninterrupted, but the picture continually stops and starts, as if the graphics card can't keep up with the DVD. The strange thing is, the problem only occurs on Warner Brothers DVDs. Also; the same thing occurs on all my Warner Brothers DVDs without exception.

Does anyone understand what's going on here?

jack 09:32 28 Dec 04

At a guess it seems that WB discs have a lot more data to pass.

Jerky repro is usually indicative of lack of memory.
Make sure that you have no programs running the B/G
that could be closed down.
A copy of Enditall -click here will help here

dendrite 20:16 28 Dec 04

Thanks Jack...I went through the background processes and stopped everything I didn't recognise. The jerking still happened, and at the same places on the film every time. I think your theory A sounds plausible; i.e. WB discs may be encoded differently and my obsolete computer can't keep up. I was thinking of replacing it anyone and this provides the excuse!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…