Jerky DVD Playback

Limpoet 23:13 15 Apr 05

I have an external USB 2.0 Freecom Classic DVD+/-RW which I run on a desktop through a USB 1.1 connection with Windows 2000, P4 1.5Ghz with 256Mb RAM, Nvidia TNT64 32mb Graphics Card and Realtek AC97 Soundcard.

Using the free RoxioDVD player bundled the playback is always jerky (sound and video). When I first got the player I played a DVD and everything seemed fine.

I have connected to my laptop running XP and USB 2.0 with P4 2.8Ghz 512Mb RAM and integrated graphics and sound card. The DVD playback with the same software runs fine on this although I have just run it again and looked at the Task Manager which even on the laptop was showing between 90-100% CPU usage!

Is this a software problem or hardware issue? I flashed the firmware on the Freecom Classic and had to return it for replacement, so would hope to find a solution that did not involve updating the firmware.

The only other thing I can think of is that I connect via USB 1.1 but I don't think this is the real issue.

I have tried the Freecom Tech support with poor response i.e none so far!!

woodchip 23:15 15 Apr 05

You have two problems your graphics is not very good and you are using a External USB1.1 that is slow DVD drive

woodchip 23:16 15 Apr 05

If you had a internel DVD player I think it would be OK

Limpoet 23:19 15 Apr 05

Is there anything I can do to improve things with my exisitng set-up as funds won't stretch right now to aninternal drive

woodchip 23:21 15 Apr 05

Not realy the main let down is the External drive through a USB1.1 click here

Limpoet 23:27 15 Apr 05

I was wondering whether there are any other DVD playback software packages which might be better than the Roxio DVDMax player

Irishman 23:51 15 Apr 05

Try Windows Media Player. It might work as you have the Roxio software installed. Your graphics card should be ok but check for newer drivers. I run an old IBM laptop and a Dell desktop and both plat DVD's no problem. I think the laptop has 8 mb built in graphics memory with a Pentium111 1 gig and the Dell a 32 mb card with a Pentium111 700. As Woodchip says though an external DVD Rom isn't the best idea for watching DVD's.

TomJerry 00:16 16 Apr 05

with usb 2, a simple add one usb 2 card will solve your problem

Ebuyer USB 2.0 5 Port PCI card 4 external 1 internal £6.56 click here

woodchip 10:53 16 Apr 05

But you need to get the Win200 drivers with the card or it will only operate at USB1.1

Limpoet 22:27 16 Apr 05

Hi Irishman

Windows Media Player does not work (already tried) and there don't appear to be any plug-ins to get WMP 9 to work with Win2000 - any suggestions gratefully received though.

Limpoet 22:29 16 Apr 05

Hi TomJerry

Great suggestion - I didn't realise USB2.0 cards were so cheap!

Will go for your suggestion as it seems to work well with Win2000 without downloading drivers or any other problems............and if doesn't, well for the money I have additional USB!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…