//some 3rd party need geo

javascript: type links not working in IE6/NS4.77

hurricaneone 03:54 12 Apr 03

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is a specific javascript problem, or if it is OS-related, but it's only definately demonstrated by javascript: -type links (the one's that show values in the browser status bar), so here goes.

I'm running XP Pro (with SP1 and various other M$ updates installed) on a Toshiba laptop, 1Ghz, 512 Mb RAM. When I try to click a javascript: type link (see image below), it's dead. Nothing happens.

[img]click here[/img]

The values are not passed to the browser, nothing happens. I don't think that it's a browser-specific problem because the links won't work in either IE6 or NS4.77 (all browser settings have been made default standard, so javascript links should be enabled, I'd think).

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to get these javascript: links to work again? I remember when I first got this machine (last year, August), these links did work, but since then, something has killed 'em off.

Thanks for any ideas

Cheers

hurricaneone 14:43 12 Apr 03

Anyone have any ideas?

Pleeeeease - I'm completely stuck.

AndySD 14:48 12 Apr 03

Install the Sun java vm click here

hurricaneone 15:06 12 Apr 03

Hi AndySD,

Although I think that I need a javascript solution, not a JAVA solution, I installed that app you recommended. Still, my javascript links do not work. I am under the impression that it is a setting in Windows XP that I'm missing, rather than a plug-in that was deleted.

Any XP Pro wizards care to offer an idea or maybe even two?

VoG™ 15:11 12 Apr 03

http:// support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Copy this, paste into address bar, remove the space after // and click Go.

Follow the instructions.

hurricaneone 15:20 12 Apr 03

Hi VoG

That is, by far, the most likely looking fix that I have seen so far. I'll work the solutions they suggest and post back re: my results.

Ironically, I was trying to get help from M$, but to post a message in their help forums, javascript: type links need to be enabled. :(

(That piece at the bottom of the link 'or reinstall your OS' sounds very ominous...)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…