Javascript Problems in IE6 XP SP1?

Balancingbernardi 22:51 25 Mar 03

All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, when I click on a link that has Javascript embedded, a blank screen appears and freezes. For example on Autotrader.co.uk if I do a search for any vehicle my search results appear fine, but if I click on any link for "more info" e.g. the source is
Javascript:more_info(200304070595972,20,'cars',1);

A new screen appears (blank)

Also on the windows update site I can choose my updates to download and when I click on "Install Now" the licence agreement screen appears, which I accept, then the "download in progress" screen appears, but nothing happens.

I've tried everything I know and have researched -Need the advice of Harry Potter or someone with Expert knowledge.

Absolutely desperate - first time I have been defeated ny any computer problem in 5 years.

VoG™ 22:55 25 Mar 03

"first time I have been defeated ny any computer problem in 5 years" - I'm amazed sir or madam.

Anyway the first port of call is:

http:// support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281769

Copy this, paste into address bar, remove the space after // and click Go.

Follow the instructions.

Balancingbernardi 23:21 25 Mar 03

Why are you amazed? Was it the "ny" instead of by?And it's sir! but I prefer friend or mate or pal or Big mad mental Irishman.

Your first port of call was very informative but requires me to contact microsoft - could you be arsed?

VoG™ 23:28 25 Mar 03

You don't have to contact anybody; just follow the instructions in the link that I provided.

Sorry if that was not clear.

I have no idea what gender you are. And I don't care.

powerless 23:33 25 Mar 03

Have you given the correct link there VoG™?

"To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:"

Or is it Apply the service pack?

anchor 09:01 26 Mar 03

There is no need to be rude; your comment "could you be arsed?" is uncalled for.

VoG™ is a long standing contributor to these forums, and does not deserve such remarks.

I hope that the FE has taken note.

Balancingbernardi 09:06 26 Mar 03

Sorry if this comment appeared to be rude anchor - It was a cry for help after 2 months of head banging by myself - I apologise if this caused you or Vog any offense. I hope you will forgive my misdemeanor

Balancingbernardi 09:11 26 Mar 03

Do I or don't I have to contact microsoft or is it a service pack fix?

« Ravin » 09:15 26 Mar 03

it could be one of those packs that isn't needed on every computer and issued by microsoft only when a user has the particular symtoms described. so i guess you will have to contact microsoft to get the patch.

VoG™ 09:18 26 Mar 03

Sincere apologies - I must be getting dyslexic. The correct link is

http:// support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Balancingbernardi 09:23 26 Mar 03

Thankyou VoG™ and apologies for the comment I made last night which might have caused offense.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5