Javascript links wont work in Web sites! Why?

joelmb 12:54 19 Feb 04

I've often noticed that if a website has javascript links such as to open a new browser window, it wont work. i had this problem before and found closing the browser, turning off norton security and then re-opening the url sometimes helped, though a little inconvenient. However, usually even doing the aove doesnt help. An example of what wont work for me is here
click here try clicking the 'GO' button. It is trying to send the command: javascript:validateForm();

Anyone know how I can get these links to work? Its very frustrating!I've tried IE Options but can't see any enable/disable javascript option.

anchor 13:05 19 Feb 04

These are my suggestions:

1. Open Internet Explorer, click on Tools menu on the top bar, select Internet Options, Advanced tab, scroll down to JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled. Ensure this ticked - If it isn't, click a tick in the box, and then reboot your machine. Try again on the site.

2: Install/Reinstall Microsoft Virtual machine; this can be downloaded here for all versions of Windows

click here

Try again.

3. Firewall:

I have Zone alarm pro, and in the settings, Privacy, Mobile Code, there are 2 boxes referring to Java. If you have Zone Alarm, ensure they are not ticked.

Maybe other Firewall programmes have similar settings. If you have a Firewall, check this.

joelmb 15:43 19 Feb 04

Thanks anchor, tried all three but to no avail - i use norton, and xp's generic firewall but neither seem to have options for javascript anywhere. ive also tried temporarily disabling them but doesnt help.

joelmb 15:51 19 Feb 04

I've just tried the same webpage in opera and netscape and again it wont work which tells me its not the browser causing the problem....

anchor 20:13 20 Feb 04

Sorry, I`m stumped.

Usually one of the remedies I suggested resolves the problem. Perhaps someone else can help.

You could possibly try installing the Sun version of Java. However, I personally only use the MS version, and never have any problems with Java site.

click here

anchor 14:32 23 Feb 04

I have just read about a couple of other things that may cause problems with Java:

1. An add-blocker can cause Java to not operate properly. If you have one, try disabling it.

2. You may have your IE security settings too high. Medium should be sufficient.

This site will report if, and what version of Java, is installed.

click here

joelmb 16:22 23 Feb 04

Thanks for all you suggestions Anchor. I've tried changing the security settings in the past but to no avail.
...However! I just changed it now and hit the reset to Medium - and its working! Thanks again!

anchor 09:19 24 Feb 04

Great; glad the problem is resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…