Java2 Runtime Environment question.

bretsky 12:34 19 Jul 05

Hi folks,

I have Java2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_06 and J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 update 2 and J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 update 4 at some 100Mbs+ a piece in the Add/Remove programs listings.

My question is can I loose or get rid of the v1.4.2_06 and update 2 from the Add/Remove programs, and leave the latest one without messing up the PC.

I downloaded the J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 update 4 yesterday and did it from their website offline, saved it to the desktop and installed it from there.

I have looked in the JNLP settings panel, and under the user tab, all 3 versions are enabled and under the system tab only the latest version is there, enabled.

Is the safe to do?? Windows XP 2002 Home Ed sp1

bretsky ;0)

dogbreath1 12:40 19 Jul 05

I had an issue with Java RE 5.0 causing various progs (inc. Limewire) to freeze. The advice that I was given (and took up) was to instal v1.4.2 and get rid of v5.0. I've never had a problem with it since.

bretsky 12:52 19 Jul 05

No problems so far(tempting fate), mind you I don't play games with heavy graphics, just surf the net run picasa2 and OpenOffice and of course email and play my music using wmp9 with Roxio easy CD/DVD Creator 6.

bretsky ;0)

dagwoood 13:58 19 Jul 05

The advice from Java is to leave old versions on your system, but if you're running low on disk space it's o.k. to remove them click here

HTH, dagwoood.

bretsky 14:09 19 Jul 05

Thank you, will leave on the system until I get real low on disk space.

Thanx again, and for the link! and to dogbreath1 too.............

Case closed

bretsky ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…