JAVA what is it ?

gel 21:29 30 Mar 05

This may seem a daft question but could some one very simply explain what Java run time is and what does it do
Thank you-your comments would be appreciated
gel

Dan the Doctus 21:32 30 Mar 05

Java is a programming language commonly used in some browsers (such as IE) to run applets. Basically, applets are just small programs.

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:08 30 Mar 05

The above response is correct but does not tell the whole story.

Java is a very powerful programming language that can be used for much, much more than web based applets.

It has been touted as the successor to C++ (a very widely used programming language of equal power) but so have other languages so only time will tell.

Oh, just re-read your post and realised I have not answered it.

Java is an interpreted language, which means it is translated into machine code "on the fly" when it is run. The Java run time environment is what enable this.

HTH

Tas

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:13 30 Mar 05

The above response is correct but does not tell the whole story.

Java is a very powerful programming language that can be used for much, much more than web based applets.

It has been touted as the successor to C++ (a very widely used programming language of equal power) but so have other languages so only time will tell.

Oh, just re-read your post and realised I have not answered it.

Java is an interpreted language, which means it is translated into machine code "on the fly" when it is run. The Java run time environment is what enable this.

HTH

Tas

gel 07:32 31 Mar 05

Thanks for the info I now understand. I think I have been using it for some time presumably 'on the fly'and it 'came to light'when an icon appeared bottom right hand corner to inform me that there was an update waiting to be installed.You never know what,s in these PC do you? All very exciting
Thanks again- the responce is always amazing.
gel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…