Java security exploit concerns.

Chronos the 2nd 08:40 AM 24 Jan 13

If anyone has any concerns about the continued problems with Java exploits you might want to follow these instructions.

Windows Secrets.

Ian in Northampton 09:06 AM 24 Jan 13

... and you could have a read of this...

Chronos the 2nd 09:12 AM 24 Jan 13

Not quite the same info, but I concede your point.

Secret-Squirrel 09:16 AM 24 Jan 13

Apparently the main mechanism of infection for the recent spate of ransomare infections is via outdated Java installations so I've been following that advice and removing it from the PCs of vulnerable users.

It's also worth pointing out that Adobe Flash and Adobe Reader exploits are still very common so it's important to make sure those two are always kept up-to-date.

Secret-Squirrel 10:55 AM 24 Jan 13

Morning Jock1e

When you say "it", what are you referring to?

rdave13 11:06 AM 24 Jan 13

I'm still running without Java and nothing seems broken yet.

more flaws

Secret-Squirrel 12:04 PM 24 Jan 13

Jock1e, I have been removing Java ;)

For those that need to have Java installed because a certain website requires it then the best advice is to disable it in all browsers except for one and only use that browser for visiting those sites that require Java.

lotvic 15:31 PM 24 Jan 13

Thanks for this info. I checked my Firefox 18.1 plugins and found that Firefox had already blocked my use of Java. I've now clicked on Disable plugin and will follow through on the advice in threads and links.

Bris 17:32 PM 24 Jan 13

Thanks Chronus.

I tried the disable for all browsers option in your link. It appears that you need the latest version (7.11) to get this option in the security tab.

savim 15:33 PM 25 Jan 13

This was the problem on my daughters computer.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxx xxxxx\Local Settings\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\35\57c07e23-45918129 » ZIP » toe.class - a variant of Java/Exploit.CVE-2012-5076.L trojan - was a part of the deleted object

savim 15:35 PM 25 Jan 13

Sorry should have signed it as Jock1e.used my daughters sign in.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED