Java security exploit concerns.

Chronos the 2nd 24 Jan 13

If anyone has any concerns about the continued problems with Java exploits you might want to follow these instructions.

Windows Secrets.

... and you could have a read of this...

Chronos the 2nd 24 Jan 13

Not quite the same info, but I concede your point.

Secret-Squirrel 24 Jan 13

Apparently the main mechanism of infection for the recent spate of ransomare infections is via outdated Java installations so I've been following that advice and removing it from the PCs of vulnerable users.

It's also worth pointing out that Adobe Flash and Adobe Reader exploits are still very common so it's important to make sure those two are always kept up-to-date.

Morning Jock1e

When you say "it", what are you referring to?

rdave13 24 Jan 13

I'm still running without Java and nothing seems broken yet.

more flaws

Jock1e, I have been removing Java ;)

For those that need to have Java installed because a certain website requires it then the best advice is to disable it in all browsers except for one and only use that browser for visiting those sites that require Java.

lotvic 24 Jan 13

Thanks for this info. I checked my Firefox 18.1 plugins and found that Firefox had already blocked my use of Java. I've now clicked on Disable plugin and will follow through on the advice in threads and links.

Bris 24 Jan 13

Thanks Chronus.

I tried the disable for all browsers option in your link. It appears that you need the latest version (7.11) to get this option in the security tab.

savim 25 Jan 13

This was the problem on my daughters computer.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxx xxxxx\Local Settings\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\35\57c07e23-45918129 » ZIP » toe.class - a variant of Java/Exploit.CVE-2012-5076.L trojan - was a part of the deleted object

savim 25 Jan 13

Sorry should have signed it as Jock1e.used my daughters sign in.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Behind the scenes at Silverstone, the 70th British Grand Prix: Hisense starts UK push with Red…

How Found created this skateboard, bike and parkour stunts-laden, single-take car ad

Apple Pay UK launch date, UK user guide and participating UK banks | Apple Pay to launch in UK on 1?…

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message