Java error in simple English please?

Diemmess 10:41 17 Nov 07

Have failed to run InternetFrog speed test, at last I've copied the Java error which pops up briefly.
I know there are other speed tests, but I like this one and it annoys me not to be able to run it these days. (XP Pro)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Java Plug-in 1.6.0_03
Using JRE version 1.6.0_03 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = F:\Documents and Settings\DMS

----------------------------------------------------
c: clear console window
f: finalize objects on finalization queue
g: garbage collect
h: display this help message
l: dump classloader list
m: print memory usage
o: trigger logging
p: reload proxy configuration
q: hide console
r: reload policy configuration
s: dump system and deployment properties
t: dump thread list
v: dump thread stack
x: clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to n>

*** EXCEPTION: data.bin: java.lang.RuntimeException: click here missing Content-Length header field ***
java.lang.RuntimeException: click here missing Content-Length header field
at myspeed.WL(Unknown Source)
at myspeed.HO(Unknown Source)
at myspeed.AQ(Unknown Source)
at myspeed.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
*** EXCEPTION: data.bin: java.lang.RuntimeException: click here missing Content-Length header field ***

Diemmess 10:51 17 Nov 07

First 2 "click-here" are:
http: // www. internetfrog.com/mypc/speedtest/data.bin?t=1195295564381

Last 2 are:
http: // www. internetfrog.com/mypc/speedtest/data.bin?t=1195295581275

brundle 11:35 17 Nov 07

Things to try; clear Java cache click here, clear browser cache, and/or re-install Java. Disable any ad-blocking HOSTS file you might be using temporarily.

rdave13 12:05 17 Nov 07

May be a clue to the problem. Running AOL v9.0 on xp pc. In Internet Frog click on 'browser info'. Scroll down to Client-side scripting and it shows Java Script version 1.3 ? I have the uptodate version, 6 update 3, installed but this doesn't change. I'll check on my vista laptop later as I've installed AOL 9.0 vr see if there's a difference.

rdave13 12:35 17 Nov 07

It's the same in AOL vr. Java version using Opera is 2.0 under client-side scripting.

Diemmess 17:44 17 Nov 07

Have totaly cleared old Java and after CClean and clearing persitant cookies and rebooting I installed Java 1.6.0_03.
In spite of several attempts, the situation is unchanged, though for one glorious moment it worked, but I haven't been able to repeat!

The Java console gives this~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Java Plug-in 1.6.0_03
Using JRE version 1.6.0_03 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = F:\Documents and Settings\DMS

c: clear console window
f: finalize objects on finalization queue
g: garbage collect
h: display this help message
l: dump classloader list
m: print memory usage
o: trigger logging
p: reload proxy configuration
q: hide console
r: reload policy configuration
s: dump system and deployment properties
t: dump thread list
v: dump thread stack
x: clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And the browser info reads
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Connection
Client IP Address: 195.93.21.2
Server Port: 80
Request: GET /mypc/browserinfo/index.asp HTTP/1.1
Encryption: none
Authentication: none

HTTP headers
Via: HTTP/1.1 spider-los-tf05.proxy.aol.com[C35D12A5] (Prism/1.2.1), HTTP/1.1 cache-los-aa02.proxy.aol.com[C35D1502] (Traffic-Server/6.1.5 [uScM])
Content-Length: 0
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/msword, */*
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Accept-Language: en-GB
Cookie: BrowserMirrorPersistent=11%2F17%2F2007+9%3A30%3A45+AM; ASPSESSIONIDQARRRTTC=IJIOEJPCFGADBLLJHFEIFKCN; BrowserMirrorSession=11%2F17%2F2007+9%3A30%3A45+AM; s_cc=true; s_sq=10xhellometro%3D%2526pid%253Dhttp%25253A//click here
Host: click here
Referer: click here
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; AOL 9.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)
X-PageView: click here

Cookies
Accepting Sending
Session ? yes
Persistent ? yes

Client-side scripting
JavaScript: version 1.3
VBScript: version 5.6.8820
Java: enabled
Cookies: BrowserMirrorPersistent=11%2F17%2F2007+9%3A40%3A23+AM; ASPSESSIONIDQARRRTTC=IJIOEJPCFGADBLLJHFEIFKCN; BrowserMirrorSession=11%2F17%2F2007+9%3A40%3A23+AM; s_cc=true; s_sq=10xhellometro%3D%2526pid%253Dhttp%25253A//click here
Referrer: click here
Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; AOL 9.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)
ActiveX: Macromedia Flash Player
Macromedia Shockwave Player
RealPlayer G2
MediaPlayer
Adobe Acrobat 5.0 Reader
MS Agent 2.0

rdave13 19:09 17 Nov 07

You owe me a few hours of grafting with this problem..;) I've come to the conclution it's AOL uk that's at fault. The Java console simply shows the problem and it's nothing to do with Java.
I even uninstalled the latest Java and tried older versions with same results. I too got it to work once or twice but I believe it times out, usually, hence the console report.
Using Internet Explorer go to Internet Frog and click on the home icon. It comes up with an American IP address as default. Same occurs with Opera browser. Do the same in AOL and comes up with a UK IP address as default. Even if you change it, it still has to go through AOL UK. I'm of the opinion that to rectify this problem then AOL will have to be contacted.
What is your opinion?

Diemmess 20:05 17 Nov 07

You flatter me if you think I can find any computer matter which would be of use to you.

Thanks for your research...
.........Don't you (as an Aol user) hate it when someone points to a failing of the ISP you have grown up with?

As I said at the outset,its only a personal foible to use internetfrog, there are plenty of alternatives which work every time but (don't tell anyone else) you are probably right in blaming Aol.

It did work for me once upon a time, but it was before I used XP, and maybe before even a relatively short spell with 2000.

One day with a lot of time, I'll have a go with live chat.
If it isn't in the agent's manual I will be told to use all sorts of Aol software and....... No I can't face that!

rdave13 20:24 17 Nov 07

Lol. I also can't face Live Help. For one thing I can't type fast enough and the incessant 'clicking' of the system annoys me.
It's certainly a pity that the ISP does let you down even on such small matters. This only started to happen, I believe, when AOL split to different factions. Still I'm very happy with the service I get and have no real grouches with AOL.

As far as 'You flatter me if you think I can find any computer matter which would be of use to you.' then all I can say is that when next I have a problem you might be kind enough to help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…