java console...

nick_j007 22:24 03 Jul 03

Why does a small java console icon pop up in my system tray of its own accord?
Any ideas please.

Thanks people...I'm not worthy

Nick

jazzypop 22:33 03 Jul 03

I suspect you have downloaded and installed the Sun version of Java. Go to Control Panel > Java Plug-in, select Basic > hide console

jazzypop 22:34 03 Jul 03

Sorry - forgot to add - make sure 'show java console in system tray' is unticked

nick_j007 22:42 03 Jul 03

Did as you say for your first post and it is already as you suggest 'Hide console'. Can't seem to find anything like your second thought there though.

Nick

jazzypop 22:51 03 Jul 03

Strange - I'm looking at my Java console, on the Basic tab, it is the second option from the bottom (I'm running XP)

nick_j007 23:01 03 Jul 03

This is a copy of the version I am using:

Java(TM) Plug-in: Version 1.4.0_01
Using JRE version 1.4.0_01 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

On WXP same as you...

Where you say: "make sure 'show java console in system tray' is unticked" I cannot see such an option...sorry.

It's still there BTW. Not a problem; just that I know nothing about Java and it worries me a little ;-)

Cheers,

Nick

jazzypop 16:40 04 Jul 03

My version is 1.4.1_01

Download site is click here - try visiting and getting an updated version, or click the Update tab then 'Get Java Update).

It really is nothing to worry about, however.

What happens if you right-click the system tray icon? Do you get the option to hide it?

Oh, and just to clarify, the actual wording on my console (the Basic tab) is

Show console

Hide console (selected)

Do not start console

Beneath that, I also have ...

Show Java in system tray (not selected)

Show Exception Dialog box (not selected)

nick_j007 16:50 04 Jul 03

Well thanks again, I am downloading it again as my version does differ from yours on the basic tab, and there is no update tab either.
If I go quiet assume I am all sorted and I am running as normal.
Many thanks for all your input!

Nick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…