Japanese startup programs

chocolate cake 22:18 29 Mar 07

I've just been tweaking my old man's PC and when I went into msconfig to streamline his startup programs I found two programs the names of which I could not read because they were in Chinese or Japanese.

I disabled these programs of course and rebooted and received several error messages flash up concerning these programs and the fact that they were denied startup access.

Q. Given the fact that the names were in chipanese how do I now learn if these are legit programs or other. I can't search in chipanese but it could be standard on a Fujitsu Siemens desktop PC. Does anyone have knowledge of the msconfig of FS Pcs and would you mind letting me know if any chipanese programs are set to load at startup.

I've got him running AVG free with Kerio Firewall and Sunbelt Counterspy.

VoG II 22:25 29 Mar 07

Use
click here and disable what is not required. They could be other far-eastern languages.

phono 22:29 29 Mar 07

In the msconfig window thw command section should show you the path to the programs concerned, try locating them, right click and choose properties, if there is a version tab available select it, highlight any value in the "Other version information" pane to see if you can come up with the Company name or internal name for th program to allow a Google search.

chocolate cake 22:34 29 Mar 07

Thanks VoG. I've already been into msconfig and hopefully disabled the programs. No chance of me remembering the name or beig able to type them into the search box. Hope your ankle heals and you find a recipe to shepherds pie.

Phono, Unfortunately i can't get to the PC just at this moment but I'll let you know tomorrow what I find out.

Please keep suggestions coming.

chocolate cake 14:01 31 Mar 07

The pathway to the startup programs in msconfig are as follows.

1. HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows:Run
2. HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows:Load
3. SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows
4. SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows

I thank that the pathways are within the registry and HKCU in 1. and 2. refers to HK Current User but where do I start looking for 3. and 4.?

phono 21:11 31 Mar 07

That is just telling you where the programs are loaded from by the registry, you will need to find where they are actually located, the Windows, System or system32 folders, for example, would be my first port of call, after that probably in a subdirectory somewhere in Program Files.

phono 00:03 01 Apr 07

Further to my last post, when you run msconfig and select the startup tab you should see three sections entitled 'Startup Item', 'Command' and 'Location'.

The path to the location of the programs concerned is located under the Command section, not the Location section.

You may have to click and drag the divider to see the full path to the required files.

If you cannot see the full path navigate to the HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows:Run and HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows:Load registry keys and you will find the full path listed there but DO NOT make any changes to the registry and to be sure just click close when you have noted the paths.

woodchip 00:09 01 Apr 07

Double click the divider it will auto size

chocolate cake 00:25 01 Apr 07

Aah! Looking in the right place might help also.

Thanks for that. I'll have another try later today.

chocolate cake 00:41 01 Apr 07

Just remembered that the program name is in chipanese so it 'should' be easy to locate.

phono 01:40 01 Apr 07

Nice one, I forgot about that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced