Off To Jamaica

KrySTaL-KoDE 14:36 08 Mar 03

I want to take my Evesham laptop, bought in the UK of course, to Jamaica. I'll be there for quite some time.

As the power supply there is rated 110V, I would like to know if my laptop can be used there. Will the power supply automatically adjust to use the 110V current, or will I have to buy an adaptor or something like that to make sure my laptop doesn't throw into a fit of tandrums?

recap 14:46 08 Mar 03

KrySTaL-KoDE, I know with a desktop PC there is a switch on the back to adjust the voltage setting, but not sure if laptops have this feature. Other than that I would suggest you buy the adaptor you suggested.

Forum Editor 14:48 08 Mar 03

Almost all new laptops have auto-sensing technology that enables them to work with different voltages.

I've used my HP laptop in many countries and it hasn't missed a beat, and it was fine in the Caribbean. Remember that Jamaican supplies need an American type plug though, so you'll need to take an adapter for your UK three pin plug. You can get really good ones in Dixons at Heathrow.

Take a look at the bottom of your computer, and you should see this:

INPUT: 100 ~ 240 Volts 1.5 Amps 50 - 60 Hz

confirming that it will work on 110 volts at 50Hz, which is the Jamaican supply.

graham 14:49 08 Mar 03

Have a look underneath, there will be a voltage stated.

graham 14:52 08 Mar 03

This may come in handy click here

anchor 16:51 08 Mar 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…