Jagged edge on icons

skeletal 11:17 17 Dec 06

I have just taken delivery of my new computer and am trying to set it up (what a nightmare…may write an article about one day!!).

Anyway, one problem I just can’t fix is how the desktop looks, or more particularly, the icons.

It’s hard to describe, but some of them, particularly ordinary folders, My computer, Recycle bin etc., have a blue, jagged, edge around them. If ever any of you have used a photo editing program and tried carefully to select a shape to cut and paste, you will have noticed a few unwanted pixels when you paste your selection. It’s like that.

I have tried everything I can think of under display settings, folder options and etc etc!

The effect is there at all screen resolutions.

Everything is pin sharp and using the monitor on my old computer is fine. I’m sure it’s a Windows setting, but I can’t think what.

It is Windows Media Centre, rather than my more familiar XP Home and Pro (but I have chosen “Windows XP style” as appearance in display properties, however, the other two styles have the same problem).

Any ideas?

Skeletal

Joe R 11:18 17 Dec 06

skeletal,

have you changed the colour settings to 32 bit.?

skeletal 11:27 17 Dec 06

Thanks Joe...

Yes!

Skeletal

skeletal 11:30 17 Dec 06

Update...to be perverse I set it to 16 bit and the problem goes away! The icons themselves become jagged, but the blue surround disappears!

Skeletal

Hawy 11:32 17 Dec 06

Perhaps an icon repair with tweakui might help

click here

skeletal 12:12 17 Dec 06

Thanks Hawy...

Nope, that doesn't work either, although using the various icon settings in tweakui works temporarily. As soon as I move them though, the blue background re-appears.

Skeletal

skeletal 12:32 17 Dec 06

I have just discovered that if you right click the desktop and “Arrange icons By” there is an option to “Lock web items to desktop”. Doing this gives the problem!

However, don’t go away! The lettering under the icons now has a shadow under it which makes it hard to read, also, the icons move around at start up.

My other computers have the letters with a blue background (which is why I thought all was well before).

So my new quest is how to lock the icons and get the lettering with a blue background!

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Portable power and versatile design let down by expensive accessories and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best design TV series, films & documentaries

iPhone 7 Plus vs Sony Xperia XZ Premium comparison preview: Superb camera gives Sony the edge - on…