ivy V sandy

nickf 19:53 PM 11 May 12

I am going to be building a gaming PC , with good graphics card ( most likely gtx670 ) would ther be any significant advantage in fitting an ivybridge cpu over a sandybridge cpu ?

KRONOS the First 07:36 AM 12 May 12

IB Pros: newer tech, less power consumption, faster at stock speeds compared to SB Cons: Heat issues when OC, less capable OC unless you're pro at it and knows exactly what to do

SB Pros: Great to OC, more user friendly to OC, and when OC, performance is very similar to IB that it is almost negligible, no heat issues in air, stable Cons: More power consumption, one generation old

So, if you ask me, I will choose SB if you're new to OC and IB if you either want to keep your CPU at stock, you're pro at OC, or you plan only to do mild OC. As for phasing out the socket type, IB is the last LGA 1155 CPU. The next generation will be a different socket type (not sure what it would be).

In my opinion stick with the SB as IB is only a small upgrade and not worth the extra cost.

nickf 07:47 AM 12 May 12

Thanks for that , I was leaning towards SB , I am now perseuded !

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites