I've really broken my XP laptop this time!!

tomcarling 14:31 12 Feb 08

Hi all,
I've got real problems when I try and turn on my laptop. the screen says:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'R' at the first screen to start repair."

I haven't got the original setup CD-ROM any more. Is there a work around or is it possible to download this missing file and put it on a floppy/CD?
Thanks ;-)

Totally-braindead 14:34 12 Feb 08

Can you borrow one off someone?

I know that on a standard PC that you can use a windows disk but if its a laptop and it uses a restore disk I'm not sure.

Theres no harm in trying it. It does have to be the same as you have on the laptop, if its XP Home you need a Home disk, if its XP Pro on the PC you need a Pro disk.

woodchip 14:38 12 Feb 08

You can try this is you can get into List after pressing F8 click here

If not download the XP setup disc from hear click here You need six clean floppy discs to create setup discs you can then start with disc one load all discs and you can then get to Recovery Consol

woodchip 14:39 12 Feb 08

To Create disc's set put a floppy in drive and double click the Downloaded file

Pamy 14:42 12 Feb 08

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Pamy 14:43 12 Feb 08

click here sorrabut above

tomcarling 14:43 12 Feb 08

Thanks guys for the quick response. My housemate has got Vista so that's no good. I'll try downloading these boot disks and let you know how I get on

Pamy 14:44 12 Feb 08

Key board not keeping up with me

Totally-braindead 14:45 12 Feb 08

Trouble is Pamy that the advice MS gives appears to need the windows disk. Which he doesn't have.

Pamy 14:47 12 Feb 08

OK, did not read it all

skidzy 18:54 12 Feb 08

" My housemate has got Vista so that's no good "

Vista should have an inbuilt repair via safemode.
Try tapping f8 on startup and look for Vista Startup Repair. click here

If Vista is preinstalled,it should be easy to access the repair feature.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…