I've Paid for it and I've used it when it's free

Z1100 18:59 27 Mar 07

the only thing I have not done is go without it.

And what is IT? It's protection. Firewalls, Anti-Virus, Spyware, malware and even underware...

Have I been attacked? No. The worst thing I ever found on my PC has been tracking cookies and we all know that cookies are not always bad.

So, PCA, if you have not done so before (and because I am to chicken) would you be so kind as to run a PC for a month and let us all know what happens to it?

Hanx!
K.

Pineman100 19:04 27 Mar 07

That's a very interesting idea.

I doubt that any sensible person runs an internet-connected computer without at least one defensive software package...

... but what would happen if you did? And how quickly?

Sounds like good copy, PCA!

Totally-braindead 19:09 27 Mar 07

It would be interesting to see how long it would last. With surfing say 4 hours a day I would give it maybe a week before it became unuseable. First problems within the first 4 hours though maybe not visable.

It would make a good security feature, you know the sort of thing, "if you don't protect your PC this will happen to you".

skidzy 19:11 27 Mar 07

Though safe sensible surfing is the main key to virus free computer,not everything is as it seems !

Christmas time,someone came looking for help and posted a site that they were having problems with,we duely obliged and clicked the link...boom.. we were infected.
Though i and others use AVG free,the virus got through and onto the system,and if i remember correctly VOG uses Mcafee and this warned him of the virus.

I regard myself as a reasonable safe surfer.....but how safe is the net ?.....one little click is all it takes.

pac73 19:19 27 Mar 07

Thats a great idea.When i first came onto the internet,i had,nt a clue about security.Id never read anything about computers,or used one.So when i got broadband i did,nt put any security programs on.
Needless to say after 10 days my pc would,nt boot up.
I called my isp and they told me i probably had an infected pc.So i went and bought Norton 2006,thank god it removed a couple.So it took 10 days for my pc to become unusable.

Totally-braindead 19:22 27 Mar 07

Thats true skidzy I remember that, I got infected by the link as well, as you say safe surfing is as important as an anti virus program but even the best AV will not protect you if you don't use some common sense.

GaT7 19:30 27 Mar 07

Depending on the sites visited & links clicked, it may not even last a few minutes - let alone a whole month! G

cocteau48 19:39 27 Mar 07

Great idea.
Keep bumping this up the thread list and see if someone picks it up!

Angry Kid 19:44 27 Mar 07

Great idea.

Would like to see this in a future issue.

Angry ;)

Les T 19:50 27 Mar 07

Definetly a good idea, i'm very curious about what the result would be.

Totally-braindead 19:53 27 Mar 07

Any of the Forum got an old PC lying about. We could have a competition. How quickly can you destroy a OS.
Maybe thats going too far come to think of it but I do like the idea of this as an article, especially for beginners who don't know about security.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5